Big Eyes vs X-Vision

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deus

Registered
Reaction score
It seems many people like these two masks. I know wha is most important is fit but that aside:

1. Why do some people insist on the black seal?
2. Do they both have the same field of vision?
3 Pros and Cons of each?

Thanks much!

They fit differently. I fit the Big Eyes very well, but not the X-Vision at all.

I like the black skirt, because a clear skirt can let glare in.. especially if you have the sun directly behind your head. You get lots of strange reflections on the inside of the mask.

Deus:
It seems many people like these two masks. I know wha is most important is fit but that aside:

3 Pros and Cons of each?

Thanks much!

photo and video guys and many experienced divers prefer the black skirts to decrease the amount of light arbitrarily entering the mask... i hear noobs prefer the clear skirts because of the light it does let in

having only tried on the big eyes in the shop and diving an x-vision now, i'd say a little different... i prefer the x-vision

x-vision pros? it's the perfect mask for me...

Jag

Yup they definately fit differently, both don't fit me that well so I'm using the Cressi Lince a smaller version of the Matrix (latest version of the Big Eyes with better buckles, lower volume and slightly better upward view).

Black for less glare but not for divers who feel claustrophobic.

The few mask that you can consider due to similar designs and optimal viewing angles are:

1. Cressi Matrix
2. Mares X-Vision
3. Mares Pure Vision
4. Tusa M-23 Viewtrek

A couple of reviews can be found here:
http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/masks_and_snorkels/11_new_masks/
http://www.divernet.com/equipment/masks2004/index.shtml

Seriously, if any of these masks fits well, get it! All of these mask are the best around.

SangP

Btw, the added advantage of the Lince other than great fit is that it is so low volumed that I can use it for freediving and spear fishing... not that I'll be doing either of those anytime soon LOl!

I hope a local dive shop has both for me to try. Thank you for your info!

I tried the big eyes as my LDS carries it. It didn't fit. It hit my forehead. It did seem to be slightly lower profile, and I mean slightly.

I then tried on the X-vision and it fit perfectly. Get what works for you.

Black skirt, cause most of us hate ambient light pouring in from the sides and distracting you. Looks like something is out there thats really not. Kinda like having a 3 window mask, just ends up being annoying. With a low profile mask you have quite good peripheral view anyway.

I tried the Cressi Big Eyes and it was OK; liked it. Then I tried the X-Vision; Loved it. I now have 2. Then they came out with the Pure Vision, which I just tried and love even more. The area of view is outstanding. I also prefer the black skirt when taking pics in sunny locations, but also love the clear in murkier waters.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Dive Smart: Dive Safe
Enjoy the ride
:14:

Deus:

3 Pros and Cons of each?

Thanks much!

I wanted a backup to my Genesis panview (best mask IMO for $20 hands down), and decided I wanted better vertical vision (panview definately has a wider vision then any BigEye type mask, but it is distorted a bit).

I tried my buddies Big Eyes, and this was the FIRST mask that did not fit me that good. It was just a bit big. I did not try it in the pool, but I'm betting it would have leaked.

The X-Vision fit well, as does almost every mask I have tried (panview, X-Vision, Mythos, and most masks by those manufacures as well as scubapro and TUSA).

I went with the Mythos as it is about the same as the X-vision, comes with a black skirt, and fit me well.

Is the Matrix pretty much the same as the Big Eyes?

Deus:
Is the Matrix pretty much the same as the Big Eyes?

If it has the tear drop shaped lenses, it's going to be similar.

I tried on about six different big eye type masks. The difference in volume, and angle of view are VERY minimal. One would have to measure each to get volume differences, and one has to put the mask on, and then find VERY specific points focus on to determine field of view to find which has more or less.

In day to day use I seriously doubt one has a noticibly wider view, or is more/less difficult to clear. Another thing to keep in mind is that I discovered that the Genesis Panview is EXACTLY the same mask as one of the Scubapros my buddy purchased. The ONLY difference was the color, and logo. So it appears that many products are produced in ONE factory, and then the logo applied. Ironically the Scubapro verion was $10 more at LP, go figure.

Back
Top Bottom