Big Blue CF-250 Focusable LED: Anyone used it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also saw it at diverightinscuba.com, same price. But I recently bought the narrow & wide intova lights to fill this niche in my gear.

250 lumens is obviously not a sustained output. A top-bin XR-E emitter pushing 250 lumens would pull 1 watt from each of the 4 AAA cells. A high-quality alkaline cell can deliver 1 watt for 20 minutes tops. Lithium AAAs would do a bit better, if they are supported, but still...

IMO it doesn't need 250 lumens though. If the design is good, it might be worth buying just to get a cheap focusable/waterproof optic. :)

J

I'm also a bit skeptical about the amount of light claimed with such as small power supply. After all the Dorcy uses 6 AAA cells and claims 220 lumens.

If the power supply was 3 or 4 AA cells it would be more credible.

Adam

I'd also like to see any reviews of this light. Especially first-hand impressions of build quality and expected reliability. And the dimensions of their 4xAAA battery carrier (I'd prefer to run 2xCR123 if possible).

Me too, or AAs. AAAs just don't provide enough burn time for more than a single dive, and I like to have a bit more leeway and be able to use rechargeables if I'm using it as a primary.

I also saw it at diverightinscuba.com, same price. But I recently bought the narrow & wide intova lights to fill this niche in my gear.

250 lumens is obviously not a sustained output. A top-bin XR-E emitter pushing 250 lumens would pull 1 watt from each of the 4 AAA cells. A high-quality alkaline cell can deliver 1 watt for 20 minutes tops. Lithium AAAs would do a bit better, if they are supported, but still...

IMO it doesn't need 250 lumens though. If the design is good, it might be worth buying just to get a cheap focusable/waterproof optic. :)

J

I'm also trying to decide between going with the Intovas or this. The Intovas run CR123s which I'd prefer to AAAs, and they cost a bit less, but it would be nice to have one light that can handle daytime signaling/crevice viewing and night wide-beam diving.

Guy

Last edited:
I'm also a bit skeptical about the amount of light claimed with such as small power supply. After all the Dorcy uses 6 AAA cells and claims 220 lumens.

If the power supply was 3 or 4 AA cells it would be more credible.

Adam

The max lumen possible depends on the binning of the emitters used. The runtime is determined by the battery. I'm personally doubtful that they have the very top bin for the XR-E but if they do it takes no more power to hit that target then it takes to hit a lower target for a lower rated bin.

4 AAA cells would be 6W. The emitter would need 3.6*.700mA or 2.52 Wh so 6/2.52=2.38 hours

The problem is they are just using overly optimistic specs rather than actual ones.

You might be able to do two dives with close to 200 lumen.

On the other hand this product may not even exist.:D

The max lumen possible depends on the binning of the emitters used. The runtime is determined by the battery. I'm personally doubtful that they have the very top bin for the XR-E but if they do it takes no more power to hit that target then it takes to hit a lower target for a lower rated bin.

4 AAA cells would be 6W. The emitter would need 3.6*.700mA or 2.52 Wh so 6/2.52=2.38 hours

The problem is they are just using overly optimistic specs rather than actual ones.

You might be able to do two dives with close to 200 lumen.

On the other hand this product may not even exist.:D

On top of that I use rechargeable batteries and these hold 800mAh (Eneloop AAA)

.8*1.25*4 gives 4 watt-hours. so if the light draws 2.52 watts it gives 4/2.52= 1.6 hrs . And as you say that's under the best conditions. It may not do for two dives with sufficient reserve.

Adam

Like I said, 250 lumens is obviously not a sustained output. Simple math from the Cree and Duracell datasheets. A Q5-bin XR-E flashlight at 250 emitter lumens will pull more than 4 watts from the batteries. Not gonna happen for more than a few minutes with alkaline AAAs. NiMH AAAs will probably last longer, even with their lower nominal capacity, but not MUCH longer.

It's not a problem though. I would be happy if this light does just 100 lumens in high for a few hours. Brighter is not always better. Being able to change the beam profile is way more important.

I would be even happier if we can squeeze 2xCR123 cells into the light instead of the 4xAAA battery carrier. Probably have to run a metal strip down the tube for ground, but that's doable.

Somebody please buy one, and post your comments!! :) I would...but I just picked up two new lights that I haven't even taken in the water yet. :eek:

J

I'd be a lot more interested if it was 500 lumens! If it's in the 100 lumen range after more than a few minutes I can't imagine that it would be that useful in any water other than the tropics especially at a wider angle setting.

It would be fun to play with as a backup light but I'm not sure how useful the variable focus feature is at those lower lumen levels. I'd simply have it at the tighter focus all the time.

I'd be a lot more interested if it was 500 lumens! If it's in the 100 lumen range after more than a few minutes I can't imagine that it would be that useful in any water other than the tropics especially at a wider angle setting.

It would be fun to play with as a backup light but I'm not sure how useful the variable focus feature is at those lower lumen levels. I'd simply have it at the tighter focus all the time.

I know some people are quite happy with the Intova 4.7W (130 lumens IIRR) wide-beam for a night primary light. Certainly for day use you'd want the CF-250 screwed down to its tightest beam.

Guy

I have one that I got as a gift. I'll take some pics of it and do a beamshot in my garage. I took it diving 2 times and didnt even use it.

OK here is some pics I took......sorry I'm not a photographer so there not that great.
The beamshots were in my garage in the dark. I was about 10-12 ft from the white door and the panels of the door are 18" tall just to give you a feel of how tight and wide this beam will go!
The last pic is how the batteries sit in the handle. as you can see the "carrier" if you will is molded in the handle so you couldn't put different batteries in it very easy.
I'm actually thinking of selling it because im light poor...NOT!! Don't feel like I need another back up light. Watch the classifides.
BTW I have a light that is rated at 180 Lumens and it is allot brighter than it is.:D

Attachments

• IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    418.7 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_0011.jpg
    IMG_0011.jpg
    428 KB · Views: 229
OK here is some pics I took......sorry I'm not a photographer so there not that great.
The beamshots were in my garage in the dark. I was about 10-12 ft from the white door and the panels of the door are 18" tall just to give you a feel of how tight and wide this beam will go!
The last pic is how the batteries sit in the handle. as you can see the "carrier" if you will is molded in the handle so you couldn't put different batteries in it very easy.
I'm actually thinking of selling it because im light poor...NOT!! Don't feel like I need another back up light. Watch the classifides.
BTW I have a light that is rated at 180 Lumens and it is allot brighter than it is.:D

I will guess that the 180 lumen light is the Dorcy I, and if so it's interesting because it's less than half the price of the Big Blue.

Adam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom