Big Bay Point Dive Flags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not to be rude or anything, but are you disabled in some fashion?

divereh:
Your An Idiot, For Safety, Boaters Are Danferous And People Do Die From Them

There is only a requirment for a vessel untertaking diving operations to fly the Alpha flag and the red and white. There are only recommendations for divers to fly the diver down flag. Boaters are required to stay 50 meters away but catching people who don't...different story. Some marine parks (Tobermory) require divers using flags and have restricted some dive sites due to vessel traffic etc. This is different as it is a federal park that has be granted the ability to kick you out for not following their rules.

Lake Simcoe is just that...Lake Simcoe. Some townships and communities may have declared ownership or better yet custodial title to some of the waters but it is not really thiers. They can only really control the land to the waters edge. OPP RCMP Coast Guard, Fisheries and the navy all have different jurisdiction and abilities to enforce law upon Canada's waterways.

A group of retarded...sorry retired cottagers of whinny sh#$ts who believe that it is thier view and thier water and mine mine mine are sadly mistaken. You can dive anywhere unless it is specifically designated by the Ministry of inland waters for usually the protection of something ie hamilton and scourge and the bi#$%y americans who wanted the Fitzgerald protected. Normally that stuff only happens as there is major political pressure.

They can put up "No Diving" signs, which are fine...use the giant stride or roll entry!

Dive dive dive!!!

smoritz0370:
Simply, there is no requirement for me to use a flag, so why would I?
Because they are making us use them or we will be banned! Read what I write.

Kevin R:
Can you quote a law that says I need one?
it is not a law!!!! But a local govenment can put a by-law in place restricting us from using it. It is no longer a Federal dock, it is now owned and maintained by the City of Innisfil and do as they please. We have to kind of work together on this one, i know it's tough in the wacky world of scuba unfortunatly.

Ritchard:
I am one of the Tech divers you are talking about. I don't use a flag. Once I go under at the end of the pier, I am not coming up for anything. I make the trip to and from the drop off with my belly scraping the rocks. That place - the boat traffic - scares the Bejeezus out of me.

As far as the flag goes, the fact is, so many boaters have no idea what the dive flag means, it renders it kind of pointless.

Should I ever have an emergency or series of emergencies that overcomes my redundant gear configuration, I will blow a nice 6 ft long orange SMB to mark my spot before I surface. That thing will show up a lot better than the red and white beach ball most people have as a flag. Furthermore, if I ever am in enough peril that I have to blow that bag to surface, it means I am going to perish otherwise, so I'll take my chances with the Evinrude haircut.

As far as the Town Council goes, perhaps the OUC should try to talk with them? PaulT, you reading this?

R

EDIT: DANG, Andre beat me to all my good points.
I have been to the Mayor of both Barrie and Innisfil and quit frankly he told us we are a liability and they would prefer if we went elsewhere.

Maybe as a compromise you could just leave a dive flag there permanently, since people dive there so much. Do you think that would make them feel better?

divereh:
I have been to the Mayor of both Barrie and Innisfil and quit frankly he told us we are a liability and they would prefer if we went elsewhere.

Liability in the sense that the city could be sued? Or just generally unwanted?

DeepBound:
Maybe as a compromise you could just leave a dive flag there permanently, since people dive there so much. Do you think that would make them feel better?

Liability in the sense that the city could be sued? Or just generally unwanted?
liability in case more people die,

Wow, I know I shouldn't feed the trolls but, seriously?? The accident you're talking about was the boat that came in too close to the dock, too fast, and drove OVER a dive float to kill that poor woman?
Yet you maintain that it's divers fault for not using floats???
Thanks but I'll just keep my SMB handy in the event I need to surface with an issue I or my buddy can't fix underwater.

divereh:
liability in case more people die,

divereh:
Because they are making us use them or we will be banned! Read what I write.

I very much doubt that they could bann divers from diving at this location without banning everyone from this location. Just because you believe that using flags is the right thing to do does not make it so. There are three sides to this. The residents who don't want divers there, the divers who do use flags, and the divers that don't use flags. Each group has their reasons and points. Even if conflicting all points are equally valid and must be addressed.

It is not fair to impose something on everyone without considering all of the ramifications. Doing so will just piss off one group while placating the other. Representatives of all groups should meet to discuss and come up with recomendations. This is the way adults do things.

IMO part of any solution would require enforement of boaters who ignore, run over, turn around and pull up dive markers.

Thanks. My 2c

Back
Top Bottom