Big animals in the Caymans?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe I shouldn't look.... :D

This person looked...so did the shark:shocked2:
File0393.jpg

While diving this past April 2010 off the north wall (previously posted), we were treated to this Hammerhead....it was "big" :cool2:

Hammerhead.jpg

My experiences are that southern stingrays are relatively common, followed by nurse sharks (a few per week) and eagle rays (ditto). Probably one reef shark sighting every ~25 dives or so, usually off the wall (deep). Then there's what I'd call "known residents", such as a Lemon that was known to fairly reliably hang out at a particular spot over in Little Cayman's shallows, etc. From there, I've had IIRC three manta sightings and one hammerhead out of probably ~700 dives. In general, I suspect that some of this includes some bad luck from the perspective of 'time of year & day' factors, since a friend who has done a lot of shore dives in the Bloody Bay region reported pretty frequent reef shark sightings in the late afternoon, after most of the dayboats have long since gone home and the reef has quieted down.

-hh

-hh,

Next time you go back to Little Cayman, you are going to be shocked by how many reef sharks you are going to see if they are still spearing lionfish. It was probably the same 2 or 3 sharks each dive, but I would guess that out of our 13 dives in August, we probably saw a reef shark on 8 or 9 dives. And most were not distant sightings out in the deep, but moderately close, but very calm passes as the shark waited to see if we would be spearing any lionfish.

Well, it's going to happen sooner or later, so... Maybe it won't be THAT bad! I will definitely report back after the trip!

We have always seen sharks on or near the North Wall. Once on a trip to the island many years ago we saw a Hammer Head near the beach in front of our hotel! It took some convincing to get my 70 year old mother back in the water after that one..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom