BI Safe Shore Dives During Big Surf?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll add one more (in addition to the great sites already posted):

NOAA Graphical Forecast for Eastern Hawaii

One of the things I look at on the link above is wind speed and direction. At least here in East Hawaii, the wind is a big "driver" of local beach conditions, sometimes independant of overall swell pattern.

So I check swell first (at various sites), then predicted wind speed and direction, then cross my fingers :D

Best wishes.

Hello

The wife and I just returned from Kona.

We only got 10 shore dives in our two week stay due to the high surf.

We did Puako end of the road and the church before the surf picked up.

We also did Mile marker 4, Old Airport, Muhakona and Sheraton overall it wasn’t extremely hard to get in and out if you timed it right but Mile Marker 4 was certainly the most difficult.

We found the Old Airport one of the easier places to get in even with some good wave action.

I snorkelled Hookena Sat and Sun and both days a humpy mom and calf showed up at noon hanging out at the edge of the reef resting at the bottom in the sandy area both times I just got out of the water. This would be an easy shore dive and would be a good night dive. Next time we will dive there for sure.

The wife was uncomfortable diving out from Honokohau due to the surf one morning, I didn’t think it was that bad and I snorkelled it instead.

We were told about two other good dive spots but never had the chance to do them, the energy lab and paradise Kona which is further south of Hookena.

Hope that helps

Back
Top Bottom