BHB - Newbie Tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

islandboysrule

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello interweb Friends!
I am traveling to Florida on vacation and plan to dive Blue Heron Bridge. I've trolled the forum and picked up a few tips and tricks; tide charts (+75min entry times), Viz and Water temp. I plan to use a guide from one of the local shops as I'm taking my camera rig and local knowledge helps!. That said, here is what've ascertained from the interweb;

- Overall probably the best dive site in that part of Florida (I've done the keys already, Vandy, etc)
- shouldn't need more than a skin wetsuit In mid July
- I can rent a dive flag
- mild current
- 2 tank dive could be a stretch based on tides
- watch where you park (especially with a rental)
- great variety of aquatic life (video light and flash)

Many Tanks in advance for any additional tips

You've pretty much hit the high points! It's a great dive if you like macro stuff and macro photography. If you'd rather see sharks and Goliath Grouper, then it's not such a great dive.

My main piece of advice is to dive during the week rather than the weekend. It won't be quite as crowded and there's less chance of classes stirring up sand and causing back scatter in your photographs. Also, move slow. Don't let the guide rush you. Some of my best finds were by hovering for 5 minutes in one spot and looking for slight movement.

Enjoy your trip!

Just my 2-cents, as someone who dove BHB as a tourist, rather than a local...

• Car keys? Some rental car keys have integrated FOB, or it is cable-tied key ring. Have a plan for your keys if they are not submersible.
  • Probably don't need to rent a flag if you hire a guide.
  • I think there are a few 'private' guides online here. Scuba Jenny had a good reputation, I think.
  • There are showers in the restroom area.
  • Expect huge crowds if diving on weekend where tide schedule is favorable, go early to get a parking space!
  • A gallon of fresh water (from grocery store) in the trunk is a welcome rinse after you get out.
  • Mild current - maybe, if you time the dive correctly. Too soon or too long and it can get strenuous.
  • 2-tanks? Only with a 24hr surface interval. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think you can get two dives during slack-tide.
  • I would love to try a night dive here, but seems the park hours and special permissions make it difficult and crowded.

You're timing is about right - doing 120+ minutes there is easily doable depending on your SAC. Not sure how you will do 2 tanks unless the high tides fall between sunrise & sunset. I've only ever done high tide there due to the vis. Force E scuba is located just west of BHB (~1/4 mi) and can provide what ever you need - Stop in and they can help you with a route/map. Tide will still be coming in when you enter so hit the snorkel trail until it slows down a bit. If you can tag along with ScubaJenny - she seems to be the BHB Cinderella when it comes to the critters. Haven't done a night dive there yet but it is otherwise a favorite for the possibilities of what you might see - still haven't seen a frog or a seahorse there yet but having a spotted eagle ray cruise over the top of you and seeing 8 octos on the same dive is pretty special. Don't be afraid to just hang around in the sandy areas either. I'm not a regular there but have 8-10 dives in and still haven't covered all of it. Yes, It can get crowded (scuba classes, snorkelers) and parking can be brutal. Vis can be crappy too so bring the macro lens and a muck stick to help steady yourself . That said, if you do catch it right though it is spectacular.

Unless you go in on doubles or sidemount you won't get a two tank dive in, the current is too strong to dive safely outside of slack tide.

• Obviously the earlier you get there the better parking you can get.
  • If you're good on air you can do both the east and west sides. If you can only do the East side Or West side, the East Side is usually better.
  • The fish love being in the piles on the snorkel trail.
  • If you move slow you will see more than if you move fast.
  • Watch your head on the snorkel trail you might get kicked by a snorkeler.
  • South of bhb is the old pilings of an older bridge that is long gone. Fish love those.

. . .
  • A gallon of fresh water (from grocery store) in the trunk is a welcome rinse after you get out.
. . .

Are the outdoor showers no longer there/functioning?

Are the outdoor showers no longer there/functioning?

Oh, maybe so. If I were a frequent visitor, I would probably know these things. Personally, went straight for the pre-planned H2O in my trunk. Doing a little walk-around before hand might have revealed the outside showers to me.... :)

Oh, maybe so. If I were a frequent visitor, I would probably know these things. Personally, went straight for the pre-planned H2O in my trunk. Doing a little walk-around before hand might have revealed the outside showers to me.... :)

There's three fresh water showers along the sidewalk.

Hijack'd thread:

Hey, crazy BHB question... Night diving is a 'special event' because of park/shore access? Does anyone moor their boat beyond the swim area and boat-dive BHB without going ashore?

Hmmm, you could even drift dive it... out-n-back ???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom