BHB - Newbie Tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hijack'd thread:

Hey, crazy BHB question... Night diving is a 'special event' because of park/shore access? Does anyone moor their boat beyond the swim area and boat-dive BHB without going ashore?

Hmmm, you could even drift dive it... out-n-back ???

Yes, it's a park shore access thing. But people usually don't go off their boat since it's so easy to get car parking permit from the local shops.

There are also 2 fish cleaning stations on the west side of the park: I've always used the hoses to clean my gear and take a quick wash. Obviously, if a fisherman is cleaning fish, they get first dibs on the cleaning stations.

Regarding the night dive, occasionally an operator has put together a special trip and will moor the boat near the bridge. However, I believe you essentially need a dive club to buy out the entire boat to make it work. Its much easier for individual divers to join one of the shore night dives sponsored by Force-E, Stuart Scuba or Pura Vida

Stuart scuba runs a night boat out of Phil foster park that usually hits some beautiful drifts.

Thanks for the kind words. Much appreciated.

Advice? If going sans guide, get a good layout of the area beforehand. The channel is not marked underwater except for the posts. It's easy to stray away from the intended direction if you don't use a compass.

There's three fresh water showers along the sidewalk.

The dive shop in the park (across the parking lot) has an outdoor warm water shower and rinse buckets.

For guides, keep in mind that they must have a permit by Palm Beach County to conduct business there. The shop there is the official county concession. Other private guides may or may not have a county permit (and insurance).

At least 2 additional shops in the area provide guides on a regular basis, with Pura Vida Dive and Surf doing so on close to a daily basis. Force E is the other nearby dive shop. Both have insurance and permits, etc. The guide will carry the dive flag, so no reason to rent one. Find a guide with a lot of dives at BHB--many guides have few dives there.

We always carry some water for camera rinse and shower when diving BHB--much easier than dealing with the 3 showers and 2 fish cleaning stations that may be available for an imprompteau shower.

Night dives are easy if you happen to be there the right week--Due to the tide schedule, night high tides in the hours between sundown and 10pm occur about every 2 weeks--the next scheduled night dive by Pura Vida is on July 22nd-hi tide is at 8:26pm. Other dive shops will also schedule a dive that night or 1 nite earlier or later.

Just my 2-cents, as someone who dove BHB as a tourist, rather than a local...

• Car keys? Some rental car keys have integrated FOB, or it is cable-tied key ring. Have a plan for your keys if they are not submersible.
  • Probably don't need to rent a flag if you hire a guide.
  • I think there are a few 'private' guides online here. Scuba Jenny had a good reputation, I think.
  • There are showers in the restroom area.
  • Expect huge crowds if diving on weekend where tide schedule is favorable, go early to get a parking space!
  • A gallon of fresh water (from grocery store) in the trunk is a welcome rinse after you get out.
  • Mild current - maybe, if you time the dive correctly. Too soon or too long and it can get strenuous.
  • 2-tanks? Only with a 24hr surface interval. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think you can get two dives during slack-tide.
  • I would love to try a night dive here, but seems the park hours and special permissions make it difficult and crowded.
Hello
I wonder if a small waterproof box tied to dive flag safe the key?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom