Beware the Ramp at Pt. Lobos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zf2nt

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
The title says it all. The ramp is super slippery now, so please be careful. I just got back from the ER at Kaiser, where the X-ray shows a double fracture in my right shoulder after I slipped walking out after dive #1 today. They told me no diving for 6-8 weeks! The ramp is like walking on grease, so be extra careful.

Bruce

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this! Having just gotten off five weeks of dryness caused by a facial fracture from falling getting out of the water, I empathize. When we were diving Lobos Monday and Tuesday, I hyperventilated looking at the ramp. So sorry it got you.

Sorry to hear about these incidents.

That's really a bummer. :depressed:

Scott Tims periodically teaches people how to use the pressure washer (yes, there's one there for cleaning off the ramp.)

You can contact him at setims@sbcglobal.net or on ba_diving.

Lately we've had some minus tides that really expose the ramp. That's no good.

Here are the tides for this weekend:

Tides for Carmel Cove, Carmel Bay starting with May 16, 2009.

Day High Tide Height Sunrise Moon Time % Moon
/Low Time Feet Sunset Visible

Sa 16 High 3:12 AM 3.9 6:00 AM Rise 1:26 AM 63
16 Low 10:52 AM 0.4 8:09 PM Set 12:17 PM
16 High 6:21 PM 3.8
16 Low 11:33 PM 2.8

Su 17 High 4:28 AM 3.6 5:59 AM Rise 1:53 AM 54
17 Low 11:36 AM 0.6 8:10 PM Set 1:16 PM
17 High 6:48 PM 4.0

Looks like it'll be low just when people are entering and exiting the water this weekend, too.

The title says it all. The ramp is super slippery now, so please be careful. I just got back from the ER at Kaiser, where the X-ray shows a double fracture in my right shoulder after I slipped walking out after dive #1 today. They told me no diving for 6-8 weeks! The ramp is like walking on grease, so be extra careful.

Bruce
Ouch!

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this! Having just gotten off five weeks of dryness caused by a facial fracture from falling getting out of the water, I empathize. When we were diving Lobos Monday and Tuesday, I hyperventilated looking at the ramp. So sorry it got you.
Double Ouch!

Sorry to hear about your accidents :sad: it sounds soooo painful I winced just reading it

That's really a bummer. :depressed:

Scott Tims periodically teaches people how to use the pressure washer (yes, there's one there for cleaning off the ramp.)

You can contact him at setims@sbcglobal.net or on ba_diving.

Now thats a great idea for keeping it free of the slippery stuff

We dove Thurs and it was super slippery and I had to enter along the left side that has less algae. My dive partner slipped really hard while we entered and lucky the boot of his tank took the hit as he fell into the water at Lobos.

I felt really bad because I didn't warn him how dangerous the entrance is and I'm glad you posted this thread to warn others.

We dove Thurs and it was super slippery and I had to enter along the left side that has less algae. My dive partner slipped really hard while we entered and lucky the boot of his tank took the hit as he fell into the water at Lobos.

I felt really bad because I didn't warn him how dangerous the entrance is and I'm glad you posted this thread to warn others.

Yeah, that would be me. :) To be fair, I know SOMEBODY warned me beforehand (and it might have been you, actually) - I just underestimated the severity. Lesson very much learned...

Bruce - I'm terribly sorry about your injury. That really sucks, and I feel for you. The ramp was really slippery on Thursday, and I'm sure it wasn't any better today. The slightly uneven rocks just past the ramp are even worse (for me), since a slide there can result in a nasty fall AND torquing your ankle into a small crevice. I had a very near miss with my fall, and it's very lucky that neither tank nor tailbone are much worse for the wear.

Bruce

I am sorry to hear that you got hurt Bruce.
Hope you make a speedy recovery!

Thank you for posting A warning to all of us!!

Bruce - sorry to hear about your injury. 6-8 weeks is rough, but at least you'll be back. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Dang! Broken bones suck! Hope everyone heals OK. Our entries along the slippery West Coast definitely need to be respected.

Back
Top Bottom