Beware Suunto computers D9 and Vytec.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jamiemac:
I've had three Vytecs since they were released and we've sold loads to my customers, quite a few of them have gone down,nearly all depth sensor failure - but that's not really the problem.

All our dives are 40- 60m with 90-120 mins runtime so you'd expect them to play up sometimes. Saying that, a three gas computer has obviously been designed for deco diving!

the problem is the back-up, it's impossible to get hold of anyone at Suunto and although the computers are guaranteed for 24 months, if your new computer fails and you get a replacement, that one's only covered for 3 months from the date of replacement!

I don't get the logic, I'm sure that's not how Suunto wants their warranty system run, maybe it's ony a policy by the Thailand distributor. When I worked with Mares in Thailand,they told us to replace computers without any argument - just keep the customer happy

i was on the deco bars the other day with three other divers and three of us had failed Vytecs all in then out of the 3 month warranty .

jamie MV Trident

Agree... It is an surprising fact that the replacement is covered only for 3 months.

Like I said, every computers have some issue. Even recent BMW and Mercedez have a lot of electrical problems. The problem is how to fix the problem.

As long as there is some limitation on their warranty, I think LP has more chance to grow their business. Instead paying a high price to the authorized dealer, I had better another new one after two year from LP.

I had a similar problem with the depth sensor on my stinger about a month ago. It was giving me a surface interval when I was at 10ft. When I called Suunto they said it would have to go back to Finland and would cost about $300 to fix. Yikes! So instead, I cleaned the sensor with my best friend vinegar and now it appears to be working ok. I have an analog gauge as a back up so I was ok but I can't fully trust the stinger anymore. Just a reminder to continue to plan with tables I guess.

Glad I bought my Vyper at LP :) Why pay for that kind of service?

Does this problem only extend to the computers that you mentioned? I have a viper and also a Oceanic Dataplus2.. I might verify that the 2 computers are reading the same depth this weekend when I dive..

I'm guessing they got a bad lot of sensors from china and they could be in any Suunto computer. Could be in other brands too I guess, like my friends Oceanic...

My 2004 Vytec is fine thus far....

Another misleading on this thread is a prejudice about "Maid in China."

It is matter of quality control of Sunnto, not OEM company in China. Sunnto has a right and chance to change their source or OEM provider.

Please read some business articles or journals. The pressure to cost down on the OEM product is driven from the main companies (U.S. and EU), not China OEM companies by themselves.

Do you want a good example?

Wal-Mart.......

Off topic but...for all you LP patrons (myself included)

Have you guys seen the recent supreme court decision allowing the manufacturer to dictate the MSRP? Here to for, a manufacturer could not dictate the msrp for a retailer but since ole G dubya has stacked the Supr Court the Sherman Anti trust act (1911) has been overturned. Companies like LP may soon find themseleves in court or out of business.

Wouldn't the manufacturer's first have to stop providing LP with merchandise?? Don't hold your breath that LP will be closed down anytime soon.

Gray and underground market are an unavoidable outcomes in any industry.

Look at the prostitue business.. It is possible to get rid of? Never end.

In business, money is king. It is a simple logic and rule.......

Back
Top Bottom