Beware buying online

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jenlaur

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I ordered a shorty from Divers Supply going by the size chart they had online. I fell exactly within the range on the size so I felt comfortable ordering it. It came today and is at least one size and possibly 2 sizes too big. When I called they said to repack it, send it and order another size. They said I was responsible for paying shipping both ways. Does this seem right? This is the only thing I have ordered online. Everything else I have purchased for diving has been done through my LDS. Guess I will have to continue to give them my business.

That is the risk of doing online buisiness.
Sounds harshe,but that's the way it is.
Unless they made the mistake.

try ordering from scuba.com...i ordered a bootie that was a size too small...after calling them to inform them of the issue, i ordered a pair of booties the next size up (would you believe i've never had anything fit my feet that well!)...aside from paying for the cost of shipping (usps with tracking) to return the bootie i didn't have to pay anything else...

I've heard of some places only asking that you pay return shipping, but it is rare to find a place that will pay both ways for exchanges.

I know Leisure Pro offers what they call a "Pressure Free Fit" on exposure protection. If you order something that doesn't fit, they arrange for a courier to pick it up from you and send you other sizes, as many times as you need, until you find one that fits. You only pay once for the initial shipping.

The fine print of this is that the unlimited free returns only applies to other sizes from the same item. You can't start with a Bare wetsuit and end up with, say an Akona, if you can't find a size that fits you in the original brand.

We got our Bare wetsuits from Leisure Pro due to this offer and ended up getting the right size on the first try.

I order a lot of stuff from Diver's Supply and haven't had an unreasonable experiences with purchases or returns so far.

That is the risk of doing online buisiness.
Sounds harshe,but that's the way it is.
Unless they made the mistake.

In my opinion they did make the mistake. I went by their sizing chart, which is really a Henderson sizing chart. They should stand by it or make a disclaimer statement. Rand, I'm glad you have had good experiences with them. I have just had my last experience with them....that is unless they read this and make it right.

I ordered a shorty from Divers Supply going by the size chart they had online. I fell exactly within the range on the size so I felt comfortable ordering it. It came today and is at least one size and possibly 2 sizes too big. When I called they said to repack it, send it and order another size. They said I was responsible for paying shipping both ways. Does this seem right? This is the only thing I have ordered online. Everything else I have purchased for diving has been done through my LDS. Guess I will have to continue to give them my business.

This is a major reason I cannot buy online. If I ordered MY size from Their chart I would explode if they failed to correct THEIR mistake.
You have provided me a "black and white" reason to NEVER buy from DS!

This has a lot less to do w/ buying online than it does with the lack of quality of standard sizing charts. Anyone who has tried on wet/drysuits from more than one manufacturer will know that the charts are never trustworthy. If you buy something that is the wrong size, I can't see how you can place the blame on the seller. That is part of doing business online. Lesson? Don't buy sized items unless you know it will fit. There are a million other things that can be bought online form good retailers where you will not have this problem. I buy stuff all the time from a handful of retailers that I have grown to trust (like Divesports and Diveriteexpress) and I have never been disappointed.

This has a lot less to do w/ buying online than it does with the lack of quality of standard sizing charts. Anyone who has tried on wet/drysuits from more than one manufacturer will know that the charts are never trustworthy. If you buy something that is the wrong size, I can't see how you can place the blame on the seller. That is part of doing business online. Lesson? Don't buy sized items unless you know it will fit. There are a million other things that can be bought online form good retailers where you will not have this problem. I buy stuff all the time from a handful of retailers that I have grown to trust (like Divesports and Diveriteexpress) and I have never been disappointed.

I just ordered from LP. They have a "keep trying til it fits policy". That's the way to do business! Had I know this I would have shopped there in the first place. I buy many things online but this was the first sized item I have ever purchased online. Never bought clothes, shoes, etc. I thought I was safe with the sizing chart. Let's see how it goes with LP.

I have enjoyed using Leisure Pro's PFF guarantee many times. It truly takes the risk out of buying wetsuits online. It is a fair policy - you can get the same item in a different size as many times as you need until you get it right. With a pair of booties I bought, it took me three tries to get it right, with zero hassle from Leisure Pro. So one should not fear buying online. It's like anything else, you just have to make sure you are buying from the right places.

This is one of the hazards of buying clothing on line from any company. Most have an easy exchange policy you return (at your expense) for a different size and they send it to you (at their expense). The other problem is that sizes vary from one mfg to another. I can wear a small for one, large from another, but of the time a medium. Before ordering I typically call the store and ask about how sizes run and get their suggestions. Ordering blind will more than likely lead to a return.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom