Beware buying online

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LesiurePro is the best by far. I have just checked out about 8 different regulators, chose 1 and returned the rest. Best thing to do is accumulate them all and pick the one you want and ship them all back in one box to save on shipping costs. Given that LeisurePro's prices are the best anyway this evens out at the very least.

Their PFF program is free shipping.

Yes, I know they aren't "authorized dealers" for certain mfrs. they carry but they will match the warranty and do any repairs with their own technicians.

I have spent $$$$$ there and have never had any problem.

Sy

I just ordered from LP. They have a "keep trying til it fits policy". That's the way to do business! Had I know this I would have shopped there in the first place. I buy many things online but this was the first sized item I have ever purchased online. Never bought clothes, shoes, etc. I thought I was safe with the sizing chart. Let's see how it goes with LP.

Anyone who goes by manufacturer sizing charts should expect to be disappointed. If you can't try it on it's buy at your own risk. Seems to me the issue is not with the dive shop but with Henderson. I'd get on the phone and give them hell.

This is why I try to steer people to their bricks and mortar shops for things that require fitting.

I buy almost all my clothes on line, but I've found you have to go through some frustration with this kind of thing before you settle on known brands and sizes that work. I ordered some pants from Cabela by their sizing chart, and when they came, the waistband ended up halfway up my CHEST. It's just the price you pay for the convenience of ordering from your own computer.

I've found that Henderson wetsuits run a little big... either that or they fit better with the "Hyperstretch" than other brand suits.

I can get away with "one size smaller" in a Henderson than I can the other name brand non-stretch suits. but maybe that's just me. However, I chose my suit based on Hendersons size chart and it worked out ok.

I think you'll find that every manufacturer has a slightly different patter and will have slightly different sizes.

The other problem is that sizes vary from one mfg to another.

I was sure I'd check the profile find that the OP was a male (clothing sizes tend to be more standardized for men than for women). I currently wear anything from a 4 (high end garments that vanity size to the extreme) to a 14 (patterns, which are much closer to 1950s sizing).

I don't buy anything online unless I either know the garment manufacturer so I am relatively sure of the sizing OR I am check and am willing to accept whatever their standard return policy is in order to try different sizes.

Can't buy online? Well lets see.....Oceanic Dealer Leisure pro sells Oceanic Pro Plus 2 Comp for 499.00....hum....I guess I should have caught the sale price at LSD Oceanic dealer for 750.00. The 6 grand I spent at LP saved me ( and I checked) 1840.00. Putting this in perpective, lets all pull 1840.00 out of the bank and use it to start our grills. My new reg I bought from LP bent a disk after 15 uses, Oceanic fixed it for free at the LDS. I had my very expensive Oceanic Probe LX BC get destroyed in an accident. My fault...ok....LP sold me a replacement for 350.00 bucks! That my friends is great service and customer care.

It would seem to me that we need to rephrase this thread. Beware of buying online from cheesy unresearched websites without checking reviews

Leisure Pro rules! Ignore the prices online and CALL. They knock off serious money person to person only.

I wouldn't buy personal fit items online, such as wetsuits or drysuits, unless they were MTM. Nor would I buy a mask, since you have to try it on to check the fit.

But pretty much everything else can be bought online safely and, although I appreciate the US is pretty backward when it comes restriction of trade and online shopping, I think the heading of this thread is a bit OTT.

YMMV

In wetsuits, even going from one model to another, in the same size, and all the same brand, can mean a different fit. Too bad about your problem, but it's just the way it works with wetsuits ... their sizing charts don't mean much, and everyone is built a little differently. People say, "Buy from your LDS." A lot of people simply don't even have the option. So you play the game of trying and returning until you get it right.

My wife and I are both up for new wetsuits, and we're playing the game right now. FWIW, this is a good argument for brands that offer a super stretchy model. They cost more, and some aren't as warm, but they will in fact fit a greater size range. There's always the option of a custom wetsuit, and when you consider the odds of having to do the return game with a standard size, the cost for custom might not be too bad.

When I needed wetsuits, (from LP, my LDS didn't have the sizes I required or I would have bought from them) I just ordered what I thought would fit (2 sizes) tried both, kept the one that fit and got a return auth. for the one that didn't, shipped it back, they credited my card, and done!

My opinion is that you should read their terms and return policies before clicking 'ok' in case there's an issue. That saves questions and problems after the fact.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom