Between wing sizes, what do you think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elmo6s

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey guys,
Just making the switch to a BP/W - I'm diving a Seaquest Balance at the moment - on my last dive I used 22lbs and that felt good with an LP77 (8lbs negative full, 2lb negative empty) - factor in whatever other gear I'm carrying (figure reel, regs, etc another -2) - Should I be diving a 30lb, 35lb, or 40lb singles wing? I fully expect to be purchasing an HP100 or 120 in the near future (that 77 wasn't mine), but that shouldn't make too big a difference in lift requirement... I'm leaning towards the 40 as I really want a DSS LCD and not a Torus (the 35) - am I being ridiculous and getting too big a wing? Is the Torus just about the same as the LCD (i.e. Donut vs. standard?)

Alex

After looking at my own post, I realize I'm being an idiot. Picking up the 35 later today - please chip in quick if that seems stupid to you...

Can't comment on the LCD v. Torus (I'm an Oxycheq guy), but 30 lbs should be more than enough for single tank diving, even a steel tank. You don't want to get too big a wing because it will cut decrease your streamlining making you drag more through the water, which will require more air. As for donut v. horseshoe, I prefer donut with single tanks as it makes it a little easier to get air our regardless what position I'm in (typically horizontal).

Here's a nice post by Tobin about determining lift. In cold water, it's mostly set by the compression of your exposure protection if you're diving wet. You don't tell us what you're using for exposure protection in the OP.

If a Balance has been serving you well, able to compensate for your suit and float your rig at the surface, the 35 pound wing should be quite adequate.

elmo6s:
Hey guys,
Just making the switch to a BP/W - I'm diving a Seaquest Balance at the moment - on my last dive I used 22lbs and that felt good with an LP77 (8lbs negative full, 2lb negative empty) - factor in whatever other gear I'm carrying (figure reel, regs, etc another -2) - Should I be diving a 30lb, 35lb, or 40lb singles wing? I fully expect to be purchasing an HP100 or 120 in the near future (that 77 wasn't mine), but that shouldn't make too big a difference in lift requirement... I'm leaning towards the 40 as I really want a DSS LCD and not a Torus (the 35) - am I being ridiculous and getting too big a wing? Is the Torus just about the same as the LCD (i.e. Donut vs. standard?)

Alex

Your wing neds to be able to float your rig with a full tank (without you and your buoyant exposure suit attached) and it needs to be able to compensate for the potential change in buoyancy of your exposure suit.

If were using 22 lbs, a -2 lbs reg reg, a tank that's -2 empty, and a BC that's probably buoyant by 3-4 lbs then we can estimate that your suit is about 22 lbs positive. That's reasonable for your area (NY)

If you use a 6 lbs SS plate and harness, 2 lbs reg, and a HP100 tank (-1 e -9 f) then your rig will be, with a full tank about -17 lbs, even if you add the 8 lbs bolt on weight it will be only -25 lbs.

If your rig is going to be -25 lbs or less and your exposure suit can loose a max of 22 lbs a LCD 30 wing would be my first choice. You do not need a 40.

Who would need a 40? Why do we make them? Big dudes in lots of neoprene. If the divers suit is 35 lbs positive their is the potential to loose 35 lbs of buyancy due to compression.

For cold water diving it is almost always the potential change in buoyancy of the divers exposure suit that dictates the required wing lift.

Tobin

Thanks Tobin! Thanks exactly what I was wondering! I guess the confusion was whether to calculate the buoyancy of the tank empty or full - and after reading your post, I realized that in most emergencies, I'm going to be closer to empty than full... I also forgot about dumpable weight when calculating this... Again, thanks for your help, I'll be placing an order a bit later on today!

I'm diving dry by the way for those of you who asked.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom