Best Wrist watch style computer??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would you consider getting a nice, stylish watch and a great dive computer, or does it have to be one thing for both purposes?

i dont wear watches or any other jewelry. i hate the stuff, i'm electrician by trade. just looking for something small and easy to use.

---------- Post added January 5th, 2016 at 07:30 PM ----------

i guess i should specify that i dont want to wear it full time. i'm planning on spending a month or 2 in utila doing multiple dives per day. and i'd love to have something that i didn't need to leave with my dive gear.

I have been looking at the air integrated oceanic Atom as well as the OCI. i love the look. I wasn't planning on buying an expensive computer, but like everything i do, i tend to talk myself into buying a product that is more than what i need at the moment. My biggest fear about spending alot of money on a computer, is that it seams to me like the technology is about to make a big jump. i'm surprised there isnt more bluetooth technology integrated into these computers. watching the videos on the oceanic VTX makes interfacing with your dive computer look like so simple. the Seabear says it uses NFC. is that bluetooth? does anyone have one? is there an app or how do you interface with it?

i dont wear watches or any other jewelry. i hate the stuff, i'm electrician by trade. just looking for something small and easy to use.

---------- Post added January 5th, 2016 at 07:30 PM ----------

i guess i should specify that i dont want to wear it full time. i'm planning on spending a month or 2 in utila doing multiple dives per day. and i'd love to have something that i didn't need to leave with my dive gear.

I have been looking at the air integrated oceanic Atom as well as the OCI. i love the look. I wasn't planning on buying an expensive computer, but like everything i do, i tend to talk myself into buying a product that is more than what i need at the moment. My biggest fear about spending alot of money on a computer, is that it seams to me like the technology is about to make a big jump. i'm surprised there isnt more bluetooth technology integrated into these computers. watching the videos on the oceanic VTX makes interfacing with your dive computer look like so simple. the Seabear says it uses NFC. is that bluetooth? does anyone have one? is there an app or how do you interface with it?

Quite a few still use IrDA, that should tell you something about the rate of "big jumps" in these computers. NFC is essentially 2-way RFID, the main benefit is low power requirements and no pairing: makes software simpler/cheaper. Personally I'd pick a wet USB port over either despite misgivings about exposed contacts in salt water -- enough of them have it by now so presumably they got it to work well enough.

Things to keep in mind about colour screens is visibility in bright sunlight with the attendant "shiny mirror" effect, and power requirements. With a segment LCD you're looking at a coin battery that lasts years, with OLED/TFT: an AA or bigger that lasts days.

Air integrated: if renting the regulators, call the dive op and ask if they're OK with putting your transmitter on their equipment.

here's an open-source divelog program: https://subsurface-divelog.org/ The list of supported computers is under documentation.

i do plan on getting into tec diving. but right now its just rec. is there such a thing as a small profile wrist mounted computer that could do well in both areas?

With a segment LCD you're looking at a coin battery that lasts years, with OLED/TFT: an AA or bigger that lasts days.

Petrel has a big, bright LCD display, and a regular Alkaline AA battery lasts all season for me...

i do plan on getting into tec diving. but right now its just rec. is there such a thing as a small profile wrist mounted computer that could do well in both areas?
A simple computer with gauge mode will serve you well in tec dive.
I also happen to use a simple Oceanic Veo 180 for rec and tec dive(in gauge mode).

i dive an air integrated mares puck console atm. i just really want a wrist mounted computer. plus i need a computer for the woman, so the puck can pass on to her, and i have a great reason to buy a new computer....lol.

Petrel has a big, bright LCD display, and a regular Alkaline AA battery lasts all season for me...

Yes, exactly. I might have to replace the CR2xxx battery in my 3+ yo Leonardo before the next dive trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom