Best wetsuit for Uk diving??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just because it's possible, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

I would not consider diving in a wetsuit in the UK. Give me a leaky drysuit - with fourth element Arctics or similar decent undergarments - any day.

A reputable PADI outfit will put you in a drysuit before you go diving outdoors. Often they will arrange your OW dives in such a way that you can get the drysuit "specialty" for a relatively small fee if you want it (ie for renting drysuits elsewhere).

Sent from my HTC One SV using Tapatalk

Would have to be AOW as I already have the OW cert. Guess it might be possible to do AOW with dry as one of the specialities which would mean the pool try out session would be the only add on.

Not for a good while as I need AOW, Nitrox and practise with doubles (which are almost a necessity from what I have been told) before I would even consider it.

Strange that everyone has said almost all UK divers use drysuits, the group I have dived with so far almost exclusively dive wetsuits.
You do not really need the twin set to dive those big wrecks in Scapa unless (1) deco dive (2) penetration. A single 15L steel is more than adequate.
I have been to football matches in UK where some of the fans were only wearing a T-shirt while others were wearing multi-layers.
So if you think you can survive with semi-dry then why not. However, a speciality course on dry suit is a very good idea.

Yes you can dive to 18m in a wetsuit in 5° water, I recommend a 7mil with a 5mil icevest and 11mil hood. You will need masses of lead and if the suit is not a perfect fit you will likely be uncomfortable.
If you plan to go deeper you should consider redundant bouyancy devices.
Having said that I recommend a drysuit to enjoy the dives there.

or go away from PADI which charges you obscene amounts of money for ridiculous courses and just learn how to dive in a drysuit....

And turn this thread, too, into another agency-bashing trainwreck...

or go away [ ... ] and just learn how to dive in a drysuit....

Other agencies are of course available. But if I had to do it again, I would probably do it the same way - paying (IMNSHO) a reasonable sum of money for a sensible course, then paying further reasonable sums of money for hardboat diving trips with excellent help and support from friendly DMs.

I have no idea how it would have gone with the OP's wetsuit-wearing group. Quite possibly just fine. But I do know many happy divers who started out my way and are still at it years later.

And turn this thread, too, into another agency-bashing trainwreck...

if you are forced to take a drysuit class to purchase a drysuit, and per the OP indicating they would push the course vs doing a quick mentoring session at what is truly a ridiculous cost, should be NO more than 100gbp for a drysuit course and if you buy from that shop should be included in the purchase price of the suit.

If that is the mentality of the instructors/dm's and shop, you need to find a new shop... they aren't doing you any favors

If you're going to get a wetsuit i would personally go the probe quick dry ones. I have no experience with them but i have no doubt you'll want to peel out of that thing quickly and warm up after diving in anything below 15c.

Probe Wetsuits Australia : Surfing Wetsuits : Diving Wetsuits : Mens & Womens Wetsuits

i would side with the others though. as i did, invest in a drysuit. you will enjoy it more, recently on a trip to northumberland (farnes) i saw two sweedish ladies in a combined 12mm on wetsuit bail the second dive early as they didn't warm up from the initial dive.

look on ebay, gumtree etc etc for a second hand one. always see loads for sale. i paid £150 for my drysuit course find a bsac club and do it?? plus you'll probably dive more.

If you're going to get a wetsuit i would personally go the probe quick dry ones. I have no experience with them but i have no doubt you'll want to peel out of that thing quickly and warm up after diving in anything below 15c.

Probe Wetsuits Australia : Surfing Wetsuits : Diving Wetsuits : Mens & Womens Wetsuits

i would side with the others though. as i did, invest in a drysuit. you will enjoy it more, recently on a trip to northumberland (farnes) i saw two sweedish ladies in a combined 12mm on wetsuit bail the second dive early as they didn't warm up from the initial dive.

look on ebay, gumtree etc etc for a second hand one. always see loads for sale. i paid £150 for my drysuit course find a bsac club and do it?? plus you'll probably dive more.

I have been looking at Ebay/Gumtree for months (at both wet and dry suits) and given my size at 6'3 tall, size 12 feet and slightly ..erm.. "bioprene gifted" (carrying a bit of extra around the middle), picking up a second hand is near impossible.

I think dry suit will probably be my choice but it is likely to need to be a made to measure (WS would stretch enough to work whereas dry would need to be more accurately fitting)

You do not really need the twin set to dive those big wrecks in Scapa unless (1) deco dive (2) penetration. A single 15L steel is more than adequate.

And not going to the deeper ones and not having a considerable bottom time on some of the other ones. Even for the shallower block ships, redundacy is a good idea because often there is more current and the dives are done inside the wrecks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom