Best wetsuit for new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rebelmarine62

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm new to diving. I brought a used Henderson gold 5/7 mm wetsuit and a what I think is called a farmer Jon Henderson gold 7mm for over top for 100 buck unfortunately it doesnt fit so my lds said he would give me 150 for a trade in on a new wetsuit. He recommended the bare 5mm or 7mm with a 7 or 5mm slip on with hood for over the wetsuit. I live in nw pa so the water is cold up here and mostly diving quarry's and lakes like Lake Erie. So my question is what is the best wetsuit but won't break the bank. I plan to be a active diver. Is bare the best. And I'm not going drysuit unless your buyin me one cause they ain't cheap lol

The best wetsuit is the one that fits you .... but I think you already know that now.

Most good brands such as Bare and Henderson will perform well. Personally if I were you I would be looking at a semi-dry suit that will allow you dive longer before moving over to dry suit.

I managed to pick up a nice 7mm semi dry for 100 Euros last February when I was in Spain from a closing down sale, it fitted so I bought it :D

If I were to go toa semi dry would i need a pull over also? And I would need a lot more weight than with a wet correct?

Remember most important is that the wet suit fits. 5mm with ice vest and hood is ok and has the advantage you can use it on warm water diving too. In the future if you keep on diving in cold water take a dry suit course. You will love that !
For some nice warm water diving come and visit us in Cancun Mexico.

Saludos
Leif Meinert
Coconut Divers Cancun

Remember that layering works with wetsuits, so I would second the 5mm with a vest and hood. If you do a lot of diving in cold water, you will find a dry suit is worth the price. You will be much more comfortable, and yes a bit poorer..but then again there will be lots of things you absolutely will have to have to dive, or should I say want to so you buy. Once you get bitten you will have to be buying. :)

Rebelmarine -- I've been in your exact situation [more or less] and here's my thinking on the subject....

A semi-dry suit is good for occasional colder diving, but isn't the best answer if you're doing it regularly. Semis are flexible...you can use them with hooded vest on top or underneath, or just a hood [or no hood] if the water is warmer. I have a 5-mil Seasoft semi-dry that I pair with a pullover hooded vest, and it's pretty good for all but the coldest [sub 40 degree] for at least a couple of shorter dives. A lot will depend on your tolerance of diving in the cold. Semi-dry suits shouldn't require different weighting than a regular wetsuit of similar thickness.

Brands: Bare is a decent brand, so is Henderson. I won't say you always get what you pay for, but a cheap wetsuit is very unlikely to perform as well or last as long as a quality suit. Fit is of paramount importance, esp. with semi-dry suits, as a good close fit keeps cold water out and minimizes trapped air inside. A new wetsuit should give you a pretty full range of movement but still feel slightly too snug on dry land. They generally feel a lot better once they're in the water. They should _never_ feel too tight on the neck or chest as this will make breathing more of an effort. I would never buy a wetsuit without trying it on and getting experienced advice on how it fits.

Drysuits: I hear ya about the cost of drysuits, however if your body proportions are fairly standard, you may very well be able to find a used one, or even a loaner, at an affordable price. Sales of new but older model drysuits can also save you a lot of money, so keep an open mind on the subject. In my case, I'd have to go for a custom fit and since I'll be very unlikely to do more than a dozen cold dives [probably fewer], it just doesn't make sense for me to even try. I have to fly anywhere to do ocean diving, and I'll always choose somewhere warm or tropical for that. If I lived on or near an ocean and planned to dive there regularly, my thinking would change for sure.

I'm from PA also, and especially for quarries and lakes I'd recommend just spending a bit more or saving up for a used drysuit. A good used drysuit can be found in the $500-600 range and will make your diving far more enjoyable. Looking back I actually wished I had bought a drysuit from the start and rented the rest of the gear, instead of buying a full set of gear but then renting and using wetsuits.

Not all dry suits are super expensive. While it's true that you will find most dry suits in the $2000+ range, dry suits can be found for under $1000 as well. I've owned the $2000+ dry suits, the $1500 dry suit, and the under $1000 dry suit. The only real difference I've found is how they affect my bank account. I'm currently diving an under $1000 dry suit. I've had it for about 4 months now with about 100 dives on it and it's holding up very well. It's dry and keeps me warm, much warmer than any wet suit. Being up in your area I would seriously consider a dry suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom