Best ways to get started in Southcentral, Mississippi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coolhair

New
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm interested in getting certified. I would like to use a reputable LDS and not go broke! I've heard of a place in Jackson that is supposed to be excellent. Any thoughts on that or Hattiesbur, Gulf Coast shops????

Thanks!

Don't think you will find that much difference in price, but there may be a very large quality difference. I know most of the shops from Fort Walton to Panama City, and most do an excellent job.

Given that the gulf is not the easiest place to dive, I would suggest that you pick quality over price..so if you have heard good things about Jackson... would start there.

Hi,
Down here on the MS coast we have three shops: Sports Unlimited in Gulfport, The Dive Shop in D'Iberville, and Round Island Divers in Pascagoula. Sports Unlimited is a SSI shop that carries ScubaPro, SubGear, and Oceanic equipment, The Dive Shop is a PADI shop that carries AquaLung and Mares, and Round Island is a PADI shop that carries ScubaPro and SubGear. All three are reputable shops with good instructors (I am a DiveCon with Sports Unlimited:D), so I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three. If you can, stop by all three and talk with Tony (Sports Unlimited), Jerry (The Dive Shop), and John (Round Island) before you make up your mind.

I've been openwater (OW) certified with PADI for 20 years...Would tell you to Ask to meet the Instructors and see how friendly they are...Your learning and skills will directly result from your teacher...PADI NAUI AND SSI are the big three of scuba...like CHEVY, FORD and DODGE. Hope you well and GET WET!!!

Deep South Scuba is the one in Jackson, they're SSI and carry mostly Scubapro gear. Chris and his wife Carla are two of the instructors and you can't get any better people. They do their Ow in B'ham.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom