best way to rinse out reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

veek

Registered
Reaction score
How do you rinse out your regulator after diving? Any advice on how to keep my reg healthy for as long as possible?

Do you:

a) keep the first stage attached to the tank with the tank valve open to avoid getting any rinse water in the reg and just pour fresh water over everything?

b) disconnect the reg from the tank, put the dust cap on, and soak everything in fresh water?

c) something else?

I'll do either. My preferred method being to rinse while it's still attached to the tank and pressurized. That's not always and option though, so the soak is fine most of the time.

The best thing to do for reg health is to keep it rinsed and stored out of the sun. If you have hose protectors, pull them down and make sure the fittings are all clean as well. Check your hoses for signs of aging and stress. Always make sure everything is squared away, no danglies. Be careful not set a tank down on any part of the rig.

They aren't so fragile that you need kid gloves to handle them, but a little love goes a long way!

Rachel

I assemble the whole rig (pressurized etc) and let it float in my guest bathtub for a couple hours :D

Atomic regs (and maybe others) need to be soaked and cleaned charged. The poppets on these regs are open when the reg is not pressurized.

Rick Inman:
Atomic regs (and maybe others) need to be soaked and cleaned charged. The poppets on these regs are open when the reg is not pressurized.
I have a 7 year old Atomics B1 with the seat relief feature. I routinely dunk it and soak for 10 mintues or so without it being pressurized. The reg service tech said it looked clean as can be at my last service, after 120 dives / 130 hours of saltwater use since the previous service.

Perhaps the orifice is small enough that water needs to be forced in somehow to get back up into the LP hose between the 2nd and primary.

YMMV.

Option a starting with warm water and letting it soak for 2 to 8 hours is my first choice. An occasional purge cycle is good with this option. Option b with room temp water for an hour or so is a good 2nd choice. Don't touch the purge as that will allow water to enter the LP hose. Some water in the hose is harmless but any water reaching the 1st stage could cause a problem.

Charlie99:
I have a 7 year old Atomics B1 with the seat relief feature. I routinely dunk it and soak for 10 mintues or so without it being pressurized. The reg service tech said it looked clean as can be at my last service, after 120 dives / 130 hours of saltwater use since the previous service.

Perhaps the orifice is small enough that water needs to be forced in somehow to get back up into the LP hose between the 2nd and primary.

YMMV.
Hummm..... 'cause it's kinda' a hassle sticking it onto a 30 to dunk it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom