Best way to remove a tank boot?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

khacken

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a boot on my aluminum 80 and would like to get it off. What is the best way to do that?

I used a rubber mallet to tap around the edge of the tank boot to remove one, just keep rotating it around as you go.

Lay the tank on its side. Get a two by four about 4-12 inches long.
Rubber mallet, or other hammer needed.
Place wood along the tank, whack wood.
Move in a circle.
Boot pops off.
Rinse, dry, reattach boot.

Lay the tank on its side. Get a two by four about 4-12 inches long.
Rubber mallet, or other hammer needed.
Place wood along the tank, whack wood.
Move in a circle.
Boot pops off.
Rinse, dry, reattach boot.

This description is my SOP. Of except once the boot comes off it does not go back on (i.e. my cylinders go naked).

I would not suggest using a heat gun. If you are having that much of problem just soak the boot in hot water.

I have a boot on my aluminum 80 and would like to get it off. What is the best way to do that?

Are you wanting to reuse it??.....

Boots should not go back on Al cylinders (JMHO). I have two to sell to anyone if they want them.

I use the short piece of 2x4 and hammer and rotate method. Have never needed heat. I also leave them off, and just throw away. Have not found another use yet.

Yep... throw them away or give them to an instructor that needs them for pool dives. I have two free to a good home. (A friend insisted I take them and he wouldn't take, '"throw those damn things in the trash" for an answer.) I went diving with him last night on the Scubaboard dive and his tank wouldn't fit in the rack because he has a boot on it. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom