Best Way to Mount 3.0 cu. ft. Spare Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a 1.7 spare air that used to have the check valve fail. I would find the plastic cap in various pieces when it exploded and all the air blew out. The only good thing about it would be the cat would disappear for a long time after it blew up. I want to get it working again and attach it to my PFD when I go whitewater kayaking in case I get pinned. Might give me an extra minute to get out. Anybody got a link for an overhaul manual ?

I have a 1.7 spare air that used to have the check valve fail. I would find the plastic cap in various pieces when it exploded and all the air blew out. The only good thing about it would be the cat would disappear for a long time after it blew up.

that is too funny...

I want to get it working again and attach it to my PFD when I go whitewater kayaking in case I get pinned. Might give me an extra minute to get out. Anybody got a link for an overhaul manual ?

they actually make a product for that now. Made by Spare Air for kayakers and surfers in a vest mount pouch

see The Spare Air Xtreme Sport, for Extreme Water Sports including kayakers, surfers, river rafters and jet skiers

it's mounted on the vest right below the chin. According to the website, it gives average 20-30 breaths on the surface, depending on the model ordered.

kayak_2.jpg

xtreme3qm.jpg

xtreme3qbr.jpg

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

You may notice some posts have left this thread...
Please keep it on topic.
Thank you.

I a moment of weakness, I brought an H20 6.0 Bailout bottle, basically a Spare Air with a better regulator and a bit more air. I a gear junky, I am a guy, I admit it, I can change, maybe, someday. I have mixed feelings about it, but anyway I have played with configuration.

It has the clips on the bag to hold it on my right chest Drings. It is very handy here, I can always get to it instantly and I will notice if it free flows. This is important with a bailout bottle, as others have noted the capacity is small and if you are going to use it, you need it fast because all its going to do is give you a controlled egress. You dont have time to mess around and solve problems. In this position, its also bulky and sometimes in the way as you still need your octo there too.

I tried mounting in on my back. It was out of the way, but too hard to reach quickly. Maybe I am not flexible enough. I can't see the gauge and would probably not even notice if if floated off. I tried adding a hose. No need to reach back, but at this point I basically have an undersizedl pony with all the extra care needed. Such as switching tanks, making sure I have the octo mounted where I can reach it, etc. Also I still need my real octo as 6ft may not be enough for my buddies.

My unit will not fit in a pocket. If it did, my only concern would be if I can get into the pocket fast enough with 5mm gloves on. I don't know.

So for now, when I use it, it goes on the front. I have practiced with it from 50' and on the first run, my reaction was hey this works great. Then I read the pressure gage and realized I had sucked it down to 500 in this relatively easy ascent with a SS. It drove home that fact that for ME (not necessarly everyone) this unit has a niche as a safety device to a very specific type of dive which is realtively shallow with an optional SS. I don't normaly use it now. I am not sure at this point if it will be a good safety device or a waste of $$. I do know only I can really make the decision for myself and not someone on the internet for me.

Basically, something is better than nothing. It is up to the individual if they need a Spare Air, Pony or second steel tank as an alternate. It really depends on your expected dive profile and the amount of risk you are willing to accept. Listen to everyone and in the end the mounting options will be what works best for you. :D

How many breaths of air is 3.0 cu.ft. at 100 ft.??? I think I would just monitor my gauges or get a pony. It may provide a sense of security but if you can't do a safety stop with it than to me it's not worth it. Dive safely and often
I'm a newbie to the sport so I don't really have much of an opinion on the "Spare Air" unit myself.

But what I do have the ability to share is during my pool training for my PADI when I took it one of the other students O-rings blew out right in the pool after only a few minutes and it was a brand new ring.

I agree keeping an eye on the gauge is vital, but there are hardware failure elements too.

Any of you that have a DOA spare air that you would like to "get rid of " send me a PM.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom