Best Way to Mount 3.0 cu. ft. Spare Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can actually think of a pretty good use for one. If I had a boat that I kept in the water all the time, they'd be good for using to clean the underside of the boat (average depth 3 feet based on average boat draft (that I could afford)).
Let's say you have a extremely enviable working SAC rate of .3 cubic feet per minute. That would give you right at 10 minutes of boat cleaning time with a Spare Air 3.0. I'll wager that most divers' working SAC is over .6cf/min, giving them 5 minutes of boat cleaning time.

Now for all of you folks who wonder why some many of us are sneering at your Spare Air 3.0: You've just run out of air on an easy 60ish ft dive. Your panicked breathing rate is probably 1.0cf/min. That Spare Air 3.0 will last 1 minute at that depth. Not much better than a CESA.

In trying to stick with the original intent of this thread....a long time ago, before I knew any better, I occasionally mounted a Spare Air horizontally on the side of a BCD as close in as possible to avoid drag. The holster mount was sewn at the very top of where the weight pocket was inserted into the BCD. In other words, the Spare Air sat just at the top of the integrated weight pocket as close to the rear as possible, out of the way of the quick release mechanism for the weights. The valve/regulator faced forward and the safety leash was attached to a bottom shoulder D-ring. This configuration worked OK, but I had to be careful not to bang it against anything and it still created a little drag.

On some BCDs, the holster can be mounted upside-down between the air bladder (wing) and the back pad or back plate. In an emergency, it is much easier to pull down to release the cylinder than trying to pull up, or reach back to release it.

Just FYI.....I no longer believe in the Spare Air concept after having two (2) of them fail. One was a 2.7 cf, and the other was a 3.0 cf. One froze up and did not work at all during a practice drill after missing an annual service, and the entire valve/regulator assembly had to be replaced at my expense before I could sell it. The other one failed when the high pressure pin indicator blew out while being stored inside of a closet under pressure over the winter months. The cylinder was completely drained, and the HP pin indicator was buried in the wall on the inside of the closet, never to be seen again. This was also replaced at my expense and the Spare Air was sold. Just glad this event didn't happen while I was diving with it. I do not recommend Spare Air, mainly due to reliability issues, even when setting the air supply argument aside.

If you don't want to go with a full pony bottle setup, there are some 6 cf, etc., "bail-out" systems, or small 13 cf pony setups on the market that are a little better, but none of them can replace good buddy skills and proper gas management. You just have to remember to constantly practice with them, realize their limitations as bail-out/recreational use only, not to get a false sense of security, and not to replace common sense, buddy skills and gas management skills with them.

Dive safe!

I like what you said reeldiver7, I too have seen that pin on the highpressure part that tells you how full it is leak and have also seen the diaphram tear. If someone came to me and said what do you think? I would tell them there are other ways but "its better than nothing"

C'ome you guys, alot of these guys are new divers and are concerned about what they can do for self rescue, especially after taking a PADI rescue diver class. Traveling with a 40 or getting it filled at your warm water destination isen't fun. And they are looking to ppl from this board to assist them. Not lecture them and tell them they just paid 350 for a P.O.S. There have been plenty of times I've been diving out of the U.S. and watched firsthand gear failures on the boat operators/DM's or the patrons using their gear.

Another thing concerning safty stops... they are just that. They are not deco obligations. PADI tables state if your 3 pressure group away from NDL or below 100 feet, they are conservative. I'm not saying don't do them. But slower accents help reduce nitrogen. This conversation has been about NDL diving....Maybe you should tell him to do a 3min safety stop while he performs a CESA too.

The mounting it like a butt back commitment I made b/4 was a serious one. I did not mean it could be filled with your *** gas on the fly. I mount 2 reels, 2 SMB's and a sleave containing dye, a whistle, mirror, flare, and lightstick there and it is out of the way and not a snag hazard.

Maybe some of you should consider posting on a board in North Korea, or just be honest with all the new ppl and let them know up front about the marketing and goals of some organizations and how everyone should take a boat diver class b/4 they can get on a boat, or an O2 class or how much they will learn in the AOW c'mon

You have to admit those are some damn funny replies! <giggle>

The coiled plastic cord is so you don't loose it if you accidentaly drop it - if I used one I would mount it upside down parralel and next to tank using the tank strap as attachment point - it would be out of the way in that position - and seeing as how you'll never use it - it is nice to have it out of the way. My wife gave me one of the little ones (1.7 cu) about ten years ago for Christmas - I use it to inspect the propeller on my boat.

No big deal. I expected some dumb replies but not this many.

The bottom line is that so many of these people that would disparage "Spare Air" in their never ending lectures on "safe-diving" techniques are many times the very people who are at the bar until 2 or 3 am smashed out of their gourds and then get to the dive boat at 8:00 am..

It's because of that type of individual that I recently got certified in Solo Diving so I don't have to count on them for anything.

Sy

Dude don't let these yahoo's give you a load of crap about having SpareAir. At least it shows that you want to expand your options and try to be safe. just realize its limitaions as well as yours. If it were me I'd mount it down on a hip across a couple of D-rings, or maybe evn behind you like a butt bag as they are kinda bulky

How many breaths of air is 3.0 cu.ft. at 100 ft.??? I think I would just monitor my gauges or get a pony. It may provide a sense of security but if you can't do a safety stop with it than to me it's not worth it. Dive safely and often

No big deal. I expected some dumb replies but not this many.

The bottom line is that so many of these people that would disparage "Spare Air" in their never ending lectures on "safe-diving" techniques are many times the very people who are at the bar until 2 or 3 am smashed out of their gourds and then get to the dive boat at 8:00 am..

It's because of that type of individual that I recently got certified in Solo Diving so I don't have to count on them for anything.

Sy

Sy,
Everyone is saying these things in jest - but honestly - if you are taking up solo diving and relying on a Spare Air to ensure you ascend safely you need to think again. 3 cf of air isn't gonna last you. Figure your Surface Air Consumption (SAC) Rate then apply that to 100 ft. How long will that 3 cf last you?

Why don't you look into a pony bottle (19 cf or even better 30 cf) with a reg on it. I sling mine on my left side for any dive under 40 ft. It's a bit more expensive, but a heck of a lot more air when you need it the most.

Why don't you look into a pony bottle (19 cf or even better 30 cf) with a reg on it. I sling mine on my left side for any dive under 40 ft. It's a bit more expensive, but a heck of a lot more air when you need it the most.

Any solo instructor I know teaches use of 40cf sling bottle, min.

Sy,
Everyone is saying these things in jest - but honestly - if you are taking up solo diving and relying on a Spare Air to ensure you ascend safely you need to think again. 3 cf of air isn't gonna last you. Figure your Surface Air Consumption (SAC) Rate then apply that to 100 ft. How long will that 3 cf last you?

Exactly, even a 6 cuft pony is not much bigger, can be used with a standard reg (that has a good reliability record) and is still enough voulme to get you from recreational depths DIRECTLY to the surface. You made the right decision to not put yourself at risk from other buddies, but made the wrong choice of how to fix the problem.

I think if most people were honest they would admit we have all made some bad gear choices at one time or another. You see something and think "Hey thats going to work" and then you try it and realize it just didnt live up to the hype.

If this is the case then welcome to the crowd. Why do you think e-bay is so popular!

Try using it from 80' and if it doesnt give you what you thought it would, put it on the "block" and get a pony rig.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom