Best way to "Mark your Tank"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Selrahc

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just picked up my first tanks. 2 blast finish bare al 80s. I’m going to do some type of tank tag and all, but I want some way to permanently mark my tanks so I can prove they are mine should there be any "confusion" as to the tanks owner if the tags go "missing".

What do you all recommend as a good method of marking your tank?

Sel

I have marked the bottoms of my AL63's with the captions of 1. "Help! I'm lost!" & 2. "Which way???" with arrows gong in every direction with permanent markers. These ore oriented, when I'm diving, where a diver following me can have a laugh or 2.

I just put my name around the neck of my HP100 with a Sharpie permanent marker... still there after 50+ dives on that tank.

Of course it's steel, and *has* a neck (unlike AL), however, I'm sure it would have the same effect on the area around the base of the valve.

I just put my name around the neck of my HP100 with a Sharpie permanent marker... still there after 50+ dives on that tank.

Of course it's steel, and *has* a neck (unlike AL), however, I'm sure it would have the same effect on the area around the base of the valve.

Please don't mark on the neck if you plan to sell the tank later...:no

It is really PITA to get rid of those markers for the second hand buyers! :wink:

I have been using a black paint pen to put my last name in bold letters on the sides. Each also has a number, 1-9 so far just for quick identity.

Another thing I have is an equipment log where I have recorded all of the stampings and where I track visual inspection history. I keep a copy of this in my log as well as safe at home. If there is ever a theft I will have all of the information.

Pete

Stencil and black paint. You can put "John B" on them but then I'd think they were mine. Which... I'm totally OK with. :eyebrow:

Last edited:
Please don't mark on the neck if you plan to sell the tank later...:no

It is really PITA to get rid of those markers for the second hand buyers! :wink:
Dremel and a stainless rotary brush with a light touch.

Removes the marker in seconds without messing with the alum., or galv. coat...

Hi all,

I just picked up my first tanks. 2 blast finish bare al 80s. I’m going to do some type of tank tag and all, but I want some way to permanently mark my tanks so I can prove they are mine should there be any "confusion" as to the tanks owner if the tags go "missing".

What do you all recommend as a good method of marking your tank?

I recommend diving with it until it looks like you bought it at a WW-2 surplus auction. Then nobody will want it, but you still get to dive.

In reality, I give the nice folks at Allstate about $50/year on top of my homeowner's policy. If someone steals my tanks, they'll send me a check and I'll buy new tanks.

So far I don't know anybody who had a tank stolen.

Terry

I was going to use a paint marker on the bottom but I was curious how others did it. All great ideas. I love the goofy phrase on the bottom idea. Im so doing that lol.

Thanks all :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom