Best way to "Mark your Tank"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a sharpie on the shoulder, my initials & a number so I can keep them straight without having to read serial numbers. Alcohol or WD-40 will take a sharpie off fairly easily.

They do have serial numbers.

Tank stickers

I'm especially fond of "This is not your tank!" with the additional caution of "Do not use even if some idiot tells you to"

Roak

I just picked up my first tanks. 2 blast finish bare al 80s. I’m going to do some type of tank tag and all, but I want some way to permanently mark my tanks so I can prove they are mine should there be any "confusion" as to the tanks owner if the tags go "missing".
spectrum:
I have been using a black paint pen to put my last name in bold letters on the sides. Each also has a number, 1-9 so far just for quick identity.
I have used a Sharpie at times, I have tried painting my initials at others. More trouble than its worth. Finally, I have started using the outdoor (supposedly waterproof) adhesive stickers you can buy from Lowes or Home Depot. Put my two initials, and a unique two-digit number of each tank, for easy/quick identification. Yes, the sticker numbers get scraped a bit, and 'waterproof' is probably not the most accurate description, but they last a at least year or more, and are big enough (3") to make my tanks quickly identifiable.
spectrum:
I have ... an equipment log where I have recorded all of the stampings and where I track visual inspection history. I keep a copy of this in my log as well as safe at home.
Thallassamania:
They do have serial numbers
Each tank already has a reasonably permanent, and unique, identification tag. I keep a list of the S/N for all my tanks in my logbook, cross-referenced by the sticker numbers, which is therefore handy at the dive site. If it comes down to 'proving' ownership, that record should trump verbal claims made by someone else. I have never seen that be an issue, though.

They do have serial numbers.

And keeping all of those serial numbers (for all of your gear) will make it easier to file a claim if the need arises.

Let's face it. All of the other markings suggested above are nice if your tank is mixed with others, etc., but can be easily removed.

Being all of mine have J valves it's not to difficult to identify them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom