Best way to dry dust cap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi everyone I have been perplexed to this qn of drying the dust cap after a dive.

Its been standard practice that we use the remaining air in the tank to "blow dry" the dust cap before screwing it back on the reg but I have been told its actually dangerous because it atomizes the water and if it gets into our bloodstream is could be fatal and the best way is to just wipe it dry.

Can anybody enlighten me on this?

Victor

Very Simple, Disconnect it from your first stage, put in reg bag until you are finished with dive. When u are finished diving, put back on. Cap is not Wet at all:)

Not sure about your reg, but mine is attached to the first stage. Would be pretty tricky to keep mine dry while diving :)

I always blow mine of but I barely crack the valve, it's more like drying with a strong wind than a blast of compressed air :D

Agreed!

Further more, the WATER cap is pretty much the same size as the opening on the tank valve. I cover the valve opening and holding tightly open valve until just a little air escapes. The sound is muffled by the cap and I can use significant air pressure yet be very quiet.

Many use the force of the hulk to close valves and negate any possible dexterity in opening them as seen on initial charge when the arms of the reg set appear to be attempting to take the gear elsewhere.

I give it a quick blast and dry it with a shirt/towel if necessary. My first stage has a retractable piece that blocks water/other stuff from getting in anyway.

But I've read that 0.5% of people who use their tank to dry their dust cover get air particles in their body and don't know it.

jk about the last part

Maybe it's because I'm blonde, but I NEVER thought of removing the dustcap and keeping it dry. I've blown it, used the air tank, etc. and have finally settled on wiping it out with a towel, but for some reason removing it never even crossed my mind.

....really? Does this subject deserve this much attention? :confused:

Yes Tim, yes it does...what were we talking about?
Oh yeah, how do you screw on a dust cap?
:D How many divers does it take to screw on a dust cap?
Answer: 2, unless you dive solo cheeky monkey!

I'm waiting for someone to mention that using nitrox on the dust caps may lead to oxygen toxicity.

But I've read that 0.5% of people who use their tank to dry their dust cover get air particles in their body and don't know it.

LOL One-half of 1% (0.5%). I wonder how that was calculated. Everyone really should be careful not to get "air particles in their body."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom