Best way to dive Cenotes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tridacna

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
What is the best way to take a day to dive the cenotes on the mainland?

Are there any Coz operators that will arrange for a day of diving? I see that Dressel advertises it but they are very light on details. This would be for 4-6 divers.

I'd recommend a shop on the mainland that specializes in cave diving. You would take the ferrý and they would arrange the rest. Most shops in Cozumel will sell a mainland tour if you'd prefer that option.

Either way, cenotes are beautiful, even as cavern dives.

Last edited:
The first time I dove the Cenotes I made the request to the dive shop we were using in Cozumel and they made all the arrangements. But it also meant I had no control over those arrangements. That experience taught me to pick the shop and guide myself.

The first time I dove the Cenotes I made the request to the dive shop we were using in Cozumel and they made all the arrangements. But it also meant I had no control over those arrangements. That experience taught me to pick the shop and guide myself.

and the answer is...

Who is the best operator and guide?

There are lots of operators out of Playa Del Carmen and several in Tulum, be mindful the ferry across can cause serious sea sickness, I’ve witnessed this many times. That said, they are amazing and not to be missed.

One thing Dressel will be good at (as I assume other dive ops on Coz would be) is planning the day for you and taking care of all of the logistics. From my one experience of diving with Dressel from the mainland, my guess is that they will transport you to the ferry, once on the mainland the will transport you to one of their ops to pick up gear (5 or 7 mm wetsuit), transport you to the cenote for 2 dives, and finally reverse the process to get you back to your resort.

Send them an email request for information as it's the only way to get prices and they were good about getting back to me. You will be communicating with their main office in, I believe, Spain, but they will give you info about Coz. The ferry fee and thicker wetsuit was included in the price.

Are you staying at the Iberostar? If so, dressel (the on site shop) can make the arrangements with dressel (on the mainland) for you to go cavern diving. They should be able to arrange all the travel logistics too, which is nice.

BTW, I believe each group was limited to 4 divers per DM though.

I highly recommend Cenote Xperience in Playa del Carmen. They will meet you at the ferry from Cozumel and take you to the cenotes, provide tanks, weights and lunch then take you back to the ferry pier. Cenote Xperience is a family run business and gives excellent service.

I second the recommendation for Cenote Xperience. Dove with them several times and they made everything very easy. Seemed to be run their business and fun guys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom