Best way to clean/sanitize a regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

psygnal11

Registered
Reaction score
I recently purchased a slightly used Aqua Lung 2nd stage and LPO. Although the equipment is relatively new and recently serviced, I would still like to clean and sanitize it thoroughly.

Someone mentioned of using a bleach solution to sanitize, but I'm afraid the bleach, being corrosive, may damage the reg.

What's the best way to clean and sanitize a used regulator with minimal consequence? Does anyone know what dive shops that rent equipment typically use?

A dilute hydrogen peroxide solution like you get for cleaning wounds works great and doesnt taste as bad as the cloring bleaches. If you cant get that, some sodium metabisulphate used in brewing works well too.

A soak in 10% vinegar/ 90% water for a couple of hours will kill a lot of the critters. The hydrogen peroxide will get most of the rest.

Nuts to the chlorine bleach. That stuff is rough on the gear.

If you are concerned about the yummies leftfrom the previous owner, I would recommend mouthwash. My LDS uses it on their rental regs and it even leaves a nice taste. The high percentage of alchohol kills any bacteria.

I would stay away from bleach, well... hmm.. it's poisonous and where does the reg go? Either that or rinse it really really really well.

RescueDiver is on to something - we use mouthwash as poor man's "Sink the Stink" sometimes - the antibacterial action is what you're looking for, and it's easier on the equipment than strong oxidizers like bleach (sodium hypochlorite) or hydrogen peroxide. Neither of those are particularly friendly to elastomers. We just buy a big jug at Wal-Mart or KMart or Sam's club, and use liberally since it's inexpensive.

Mouth wash is also great for rinsing the inside of a BC. Never know what critters are in their after a few dives.

Back
Top Bottom