Best way to clean a dive slate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use scrub it with very soft wet sandpaper, I like that method because I can use it underwater.

+1 for the magic eraser. Works better than anything else I have found and can be used under water.

I use toothpaste; quick, clean and effective. Works on my homemade slates and the store-bought ones.

Hah! No one mentioned glass stove top cleaner. Having bought some fairly expensive slate cleaner once at my LDS (hey, I was a newb at the time...) I later realised, when cleaning our glass stove top, that the cleaners smelled the same. Works swell but I guess not everyone has glass stove tops to clean in remote diving situations, so maybe the sand idea is more practical... // ww

Magic Eraser is the champ on this score. Kelp leaves work in a pinch.

The absolute best things I have used are the hand cleaners that have lanolin in them, as well as scubbing particles (like "Fast Orange"). In a pinch, toothpaste works okay, too.

But the best thing? A magnetic slate. There are some good ones out now that have a "wand" that wipes them clean. No more jammed Magna-Doodles.

Last edited:
A plain ol' pencil eraser works perfectly - go figure!

+1 on SoftScrub when you really wanna clean the thing well from time to time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom