Best way to bring CCR and supplies to Galapagos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teksimple

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I am going to the Galapagos in July for a 14 day dive trip Galapagos with Ed and Suzzy Robinson . The Sky Dancer operators will be able to get me a 211 cubic foot cylinder of oxygen, but am wondering how best to get my Mk 15.5 rebreather (50kgs), booster pump (15kgs) and 3 kegs of sodasorb (50kgs) to Ecuador without having to pay outrageous extra baggage charges. Does anyone have any experience with pre-shipping stuff for a Galapagos dive trip?

Thanks in advance for your response!

- Kent

teksimple:
... how best to get my Mk 15.5 rebreather (50kgs), booster pump (15kgs) and 3 kegs of sodasorb (50kgs) to Ecuador without having to pay outrageous extra baggage charges.
With a couple of months lead time.

Hi Kent, a local CCR instructor and shop owner who sometimes frequents the boards as "VoodooGas" posted sometime last year on the subject. 320lbs of absorbant to Micronesia with two months lead time for around $100, or in one week for about $900 with an outfit called CTSI Logistics.

To contact Rusty "VoodooGas" Berry head to his SSA website .

caveseeker7:

Hi Kent, a local CCR instructor and shop owner who sometimes frequents the boards as "VoodooGas" posted sometime last year on the subject. 320lbs of absorbant to Micronesia with two months lead time for around $100, or in one week for about $900 with an outfit called CTSI Logistics.

It is time to boycott diving in the Galapagos until this situation is resolved, or else there won't be any fish to see! See below:

From The Shark Research Institute

The president of Ecuador, Lucio Gutiérrez, has removed Galapagos National Park Director Edwin Nuala, a professional biologist and dedicated defender of the park, and replaced him with Fausto Cepeda, who is pro-fishing, pro-development and anti- conservation. Cepeda is now the ninth GNP director since Gutiérrez took office in January 2003!

This move brings to an end the efforts of the National Park to protect the Galapagos National Park Marine Reserve, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, from illegal fishing activities. In short, the marine life of the Galapagos will be devastated if this appointment stands.

The president of Ecuador is bowing to political pressure from fishermen, many of whom have recently moved to the Galapagos after the crash of the fishing industry on the mainland. The tourist industry actually brings far more money into the Galapagos economy than fishing.

The time has come for the tourist industry to flex its muscles; It needs to use its power by calling for a boycott of the Galapagos Islands until Ecuador protects these islands put an end to corruption, illegal exploitation and mob violence by fisherman.

National Park Rangers are now on strike in support of Nuala. All of us who care deeply about these profoundly unique islands support the rangers. The Galapagos National Park has seen crisis after crisis, each more violent and threatening than the last.

This present crisis is the most serious to date and marks the first time that the President of Ecuador has directly intervened to shut down conservation in the National Park.

Please, contact the following people and demand reinstatement of Director Edwin Nuala: We also ask that you email this information to everyone in your email address book. Ask them to send protests to those listed below, and then forward it to all in their address books, etc.

1. Presidente Lucio Gutiérrez Palacio de Gobierno, Garcia Moreno 1043 Quito, Ecuador Fax: (593 2) 580-735 Email: monica.iza@presidencia.gov.ec

2. Fabián Valdivieso Eguiguren Minister of the Environment Avenue Eloy Alfaro and Amazon Quito, Ecuador Telephone(s): (593 2) 2563429 or 2563430 Email: mma@ambiente.gov.ec

3. Gladys Eljuri De Alvarez Minister of Tourism of Ecuador Eloy Alfaro N32-300 Carlos Tobar Quito, Ecuador Telephone(s): (593 2) 2507559 or 2507560 or 2228304 or 2228305 Fax: (593 2) 2229330 Email: ministra@turismo.gov.ec

The Shark Research Institute has two open expeditions scheduled to the Galapagos in 2005, and we plan to cancel them if Cepeda's appointment stands.

BigJetDriver69:
It is time to boycott diving in the Galapagos until this situation is resolved, or else there won't be any fish to see! See below:

Yeah, I saw this BigJet. There are a couple of ways to llok at it. One is the selfish way: get there fricken quick before all the fish and sharks are gone. Another is, won't less tourists (and thus less tourist income) justify to those *******s that they need to diversify their income base in to long-lining and other revenue streams? I saw this post in another thread, and it is concerning, but I don't think that a few less tourists coming to the Galapagos will solve the problem. I am taking action other ways, for sure, including writing and contacting those slime until I am blue in the face.

caveseeker7:

Man, you are an endless source of knowledge. Thanks! Sure would be nice if I can get 150 kgs of stuff there for that cheap, as I do have plenty of time.

In april I made a post about my CCR friendly operation. Post was published here, in Rebreather World and Scubaboard. Some time has passed and I wanted to update on the information provided.

A few days ago I received here in the Galapagos Islands a few kegs of Sofnolime 8-12. I also imported some 2 and 3 litter cylinders. I have spent the last few months figuring out a reliable medical grade oxygen supply, the import costs of sorb, etc. With this import complete and all the major concerns figured out, I can proudly say that full support for rebreather divers is now available in the Galapagos Islands.

The items to be provided to CCR divers here are:

2 or 3 litter steel cylinders with AP valves
6 or 10 cubic meter cylinders with medical grade O2
Haskell Sport Booster with filling whips
Sofnolime 8 – 12 mesh (1 – 2.5mm) Expiry date is 2014
Required fittings and adapters
Non O2 clean trans-filling whip for diluent cylinders

If you need any further support regarding bookings, logistics, advice or guidance I’m more than happy to help. Please go to my blog for more information.

Hope to meet you soon down here,
Jorge A. Mahauad

Hi,

In case this is of your interest: We have our first Rebreather Friendly Liveaboard in the Galapagos Islands. Date for the expedition is August 22th to 29th, 2011. For more information please follow this link

Thanks,
Jorge

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom