Best way to add a few pounds when BCD is maxed out?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paco II

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've recently started drysuit diving, and as I am new and using a new neoprene suit and still figuring out undergarments (I hope that's why :) ), I currently need about 4lbs more than my weight integrated BC can support. I know that a weight belt or ankle weights are options, but I am not that thrilled with either of those choices. What other good options are there to add a few more pounds? Clip-on weight is another option that seems less-optimal in Kelp-friendly Nor Cal. What about those weight pouches that attach to the tank strap? Other ideas?

TIA!

First...
You could go with a steel tank. That would solve alot and give you more air. However, if that's not your thing, you could do what I recently did. I bought a grommet maker from Lowe's for 8 dollars. Then I put a grommet in a 4lb soft weight at the top, and attached that with a split ring and a bolt snap. I could then hang it anywhere I wanted. I'm not sure what the longevity of this system would be. I used it that way for a month or so while I waited on heavier tanks. Hehe

Weight belt. While diving in the Galapagos, I had to wear about 10lbs more than my BC could hold (increased salinity of the water, drysuit with thick undies & the need to get to the bottom, head first (all the residuale air in the suit went to my feet) ASAP to keep from getting blown away by the currents). They operator only had 4lb weights. I wore 2 in my non- ditchable pockets, 8lbs in each of the ditchable pockets & 8 lbs on a weight belt. Worked well overall.

Around here, I've found that weight integrated BCs are not the way to go. Using weight integration makes the scuba unit exceedingly heavy.

Also, if you have to ditch and don at depth (say, when caught in kelp), you'll find that you want to float and your air wants to sink. Personally, I like staying very close to my air while at depth.

I use a weight belt, even when I had a weight-integrated BC. (Now, I dive a BP/W and use less overall weight.)

I appreciate the replies, but just to keep things on course let me say that using a weight integrated BC works well for me and I don't plan to switch to using a weight belt for all my weight. I am hoping this additional weight is a short term issue. As mentioned in my original post, I know that a weight belt is an option for the additional weight, but I am looking for alternative solutions. :dance:

Zeagle just came out with weight pouches that hold 2# each and attach to just about any 2" webbing.

Pouches on tank belt, in close to body.

Clip a two pound soft weight in each pocket.
But spreading weight between a bcd and a belt is a great idea also because you will slow air migration.
Get your undergarments, tights, t shirts and sweat gear in the kids dept at Walmart.

You can put up to 4 weights on the cam bands (tank straps).... Cheapest and easiest way but steel tanks will help along with a myriad of other ways of strapping weights on or about your bc, hips, or feet...

lee

Back
Top Bottom