Best Value place online to get regs serviced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seville

Contributor
Reaction score
I have an older sherwood magnum 1st and 2nd with an octopus. Looking for a good value place I can send it to. When they say they charge for parts, is that just the rebuild kit that is recommended for it? Is it usually cheaper if I buy the Sherwood service kit online and give it to the dive shop? Or buy it directly from them? Just seeing what a ballpark number in parts is.

I have an older sherwood magnum 1st and 2nd with an octopus. Looking for a good value place I can send it to. When they say they charge for parts, is that just the rebuild kit that is recommended for it? Is it usually cheaper if I buy the Sherwood service kit online and give it to the dive shop? Or buy it directly from them? Just seeing what a ballpark number in parts is.

Where are you located, USA, EU etc?

I’d recommend Spruce Creek Scuba in Florida. Alternatively, DRIS is an often recommended option, albeit not one I’ve used personally.

Parts can be free if you followed the inspection one year and full service the next routine. If out of their warranty period it will be should be reinstated when you get it serviced. I doubt that Sherwood will sell you parts if you are not a dealer

Well I found the mfg kits 4000-9 for the octo for $9 and the 1st and second stage kit 4000-15 for $20 new. I know for car mechanics you can bring your own stuff. Wondering if a repair place would do that as well? How much more do the repair places usually charge for parts?

Not a lot of shops will service some of the older Sherwood regulators, make sure you call before sending them in. The shops will charge you for the rebuild kit plus any additional parts that are necessary, get estimated pricing before you send it in.

Do you take your own cheese and bun to McDonalds and ask them to make your burger with them?
1. They will take your order at no discount.
2. And then tell you to throw away anything you do not want that came with the order.
3. Everyone happy?

In theory the dive shop can just charge you the labour for the work. Up to them.

Not a lot of shops will service some of the older Sherwood regulators, make sure you call before sending them in. The shops will charge you for the rebuild kit plus any additional parts that are necessary, get estimated pricing before you send it in.

thanks for the heads up. I was not sure if scuba shops really upcharge on parts. I am located in the US,

thanks for the heads up. I was not sure if scuba shops really upcharge on parts. I am located in the US,
Parts are where they make some money. If they're doing a good job, $30 labor per stage doesn't cover their costs. Labor, benefits, time away from selling wetsuits, building rent, utilities...
Service is a loss leader for most shops. Those that do it either rush the work, or lose money and accept that to get you in the shop to buy stuff.
Don't begrudge them the markup if you're getting good service.
An older Sherwood, maybe with lube stuck in the dry bleed filter in the piston head from a previous sloppy tech, is just an exercise in frustration for them.

Back
Top Bottom