Best Value AI Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PhilD

Reaction score
I'm a newly qualified diver, but have already decided I do not like my console computer (Versa Pro), not the computer itself, but just the console concept. I also like the idea of ditching a hose and having less clutter. So I'm looking for a good value Nitrox capable AI wrist computer and wondered what suggestions people have?

Many thanks for any advice.

PhilD once bubbled...
So I'm looking for a good value Nitrox capable AI wrist computer

Unfortunately good value and AI wrist (wireless) computer is an oxymoron, and are mutually exclusive.

You're looking at $650-800 depending what brand you buy.

Marc

Personally I do not have any direct experience with dive computers but last month I dove with a guy who had done exhaustive research on dive computers before buying his.

He decided to get the Oceanic VT Pro Hoseless Wrist Computer. I can't remember all the criteria he used but he liked that both batteries (sender and computer) are user replaceable. We were diving at 5000 feet and his computer automatically adjusted for altitude and fresh water. The thing is really handsome too.

Here's a link to a description.

http://s1059kxm.leisurepro.com/weba...6&cgrfnbr=957&parentCategory=954&sort=prsdesc

PhilD once bubbled...
I'm a newly qualified diver, but have already decided I do not like my console computer (Versa Pro), not the computer itself, but just the console concept. I also like the idea of ditching a hose and having less clutter. So I'm looking for a good value Nitrox capable AI wrist computer and wondered what suggestions people have?

Many thanks for any advice.
Wireless AI does not mean you should ditch the HP hose. Keep an SPG on the HP hose as backup - that way, if your computer is, um, hosed, you can still dive using your tables and a watch. If you've only got AI, you're stuffed.

If you ever plan on using doubles you'll have to lose the sending unit.. I have had several students in tech clases try it (I never force them to lose it right away) but once we start doing some shut down skills they realize on their own it gets in the way,prevents optimal hose routing and junk it..

Some brands are worse than others but they all get in the way to some extent...

If you are only planning on using a single and recreational diving they can remove 1 hose.. but the senders are are know for failures. I would still use an SPG

Most divers ruin their sending unit by turning on their valves faster than just cracking it and waiting for the hose to pressureize.. Each time the valves is turned on quickly has the effect of hitting the transducer with the force of a bullet.. eventually it will fail..
All you need is one careless DM turning your gas on for you and you may have a blown sending unit.

Pressure transducers that ARE reliable do exist, but theses cost (at the manufacturing level) more than most people pay for dive computers..

I paid $550 for my Sherwood Wisdom and like it. You could probably get it $50 cheaper online.

Most of my friends who have tried hoseless AI computers have went back to AI computers with hoses as there are just too many potential problems with the transmitterrs and receivers in the hoseless units.

FLL Diver once bubbled...

Unfortunately good value and AI wrist (wireless) computer is an oxymoron, and are mutually exclusive.

You're looking at $650-800 depending what brand you buy.

Marc

Thanks, I'm aware of the prices. I was more interesed in value in terms of features/reliabilities/etc, not so much pure cost, although cost does factor in.

I thought about the VT Pro, and I think it comes down to that or the Aeris Atmos. But if reliability is a potential issue with hoseless systems, then I may well just go with a console AI one.

I've no plans at all to do anything more than recreational diving with a single tank.

Thanks.

Check out the Suunto Vytec as well.

It's Nitrox capable, and can handle 3 gas mixes for deco dives.

And you don't HAVE to get the AI transmitter right away, you can buy the wrist unit first, then opt for the transmitter later.

I think hoseless AI is the way to go for recreational diving... specially OW, where if anything should go wrong, you can ascend.

Although I would highly recommend you know how to calculate your air consumption and test the AI unit first compared to a traditional SPG to test it's accuracy.

That way, even if you decide to ditch your SPG, your calculated air consumption is still there as a back-up to your AI computer.

I'm planning to go totally hoseless as well in the future and ditch the SPG for my OW rig... I'm not cave certified yet... but if I do decide to get cave cert, I will switch back to a standard rig again... too many metal parts that can interfere with the radio signal as is in salt water... all the more when you're near a metal ship.

Thanks for all the info, after reading more reports here on the VT Pro I decided to go with it. I like the Versa Pro and I'm already familiar with it, so the VT Pro made sense for me. Weather permitting I'll get a chance to check it out at the Flower Gardens this weekend.

I'm using a Vytec with the transmitter and have not had any problems so far, but I still keep a redundant spg on an HP hose. Just in case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom