Best Value Agency?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After doing extensive research and talking with many instructors and dive shop owners, as well as based on my own personal experience, I can highly, highly recommend RAID as well. On top of everything people have said, it seems to me RAID instructors tend to update their knowledge and materials quite regularly, while the same culture doesn't show as much in most others, in my personal experience - none other. Even instructors of one of the other highly recommended agencies TDI don't always know or understand their agencies' most updated standards (an issue I've seen with the majority of their instructors for some reason. I don't doubt their technical knowledge, it's just they're saying TDI's standard is what it's patently not on the website, even when they directly linked the website to me, so I'm not so sure about their reading comprehension either... It's specifically a TDI instructors' issue that I haven't seen so consistently in any other agency. Is it because TDI recently changed their standards or something? ok sorry for my rant...)

I was in the same situation as you. I decided to go with SDI/TDI. Their instructor support as well as marketing support is very good. Their online materials are also very top notch and I believe that the way TDI breaks down its technical diving curriculum is better than a lot of other agencies. If you want to get into tech and would like to keep everything under one roof then my vote would also go to SDI/TDI.

@dumpsterpurrs

TDI/SDI allows instructors to add to the minimum standards. They encourage it actually. Now if instructors don't follow the minimum standards, I cannot speak to that. It is published online and should be a discussion point for students. I personally have addendums that I provide students which begin after they complete the minimum standards (which I provide/we discuss).

@dumpsterpurrs

TDI/SDI allows instructors to add to the minimum standards. They encourage it actually. Now if instructors don't follow the minimum standards, I cannot speak to that. It is published online and should be a discussion point for students. I personally have addendums that I provide students which begin after they complete the minimum standards (which I provide/we discuss).
I would have zero problems if they explained that it's their own requirement beyond TDI's minimum standards as well as their rationale. But they insisted that it's TDI's requirement, end of story.

I'm not blaming TDI or anything. In fact, I'm still seeking (and have found one) TDI instructor for a couple of courses. I massively respect TDI and many of their instructors. The Put Another Dollar In thing isn't agency-specific though. Instructors matter, still.

@dumpsterpurrs

I know in the past I wasn't the best at explaining things. I think Gareth Lock's Human Factors in Diving changed how I looked at both diving and teaching.

I'm personally quite a ways away from going into any professional role (and not sure if I want to at all), but just out of curiosity - is going the independent route that much more expensive in terms of insurance and such that it actually nets less than working for a shop and having to provide them with a cut (or rather -- you get a cut of their profits)?

Also, is working as a dive professional part time (say on the weekends) while working a full time job common, do-able, or even possible?

I'm personally quite a ways away from going into any professional role (and not sure if I want to at all), but just out of curiosity - is going the independent route that much more expensive in terms of insurance and such that it actually nets less than working for a shop and having to provide them with a cut (or rather -- you get a cut of their profits)?

Also, is working as a dive professional part time (say on the weekends) while working a full time job common, do-able, or even possible?
I would say most of the people in the US do this on the side, as let's be honest, with homes in my area going for $1M, diving instruction isn't going to pay the mortgage!

I think most people start out teaching for shops, as then you get customers provided for you. Expect to make less than minimum wage, but use this opportunity to learn to teach properly: on the knees, managing comfort levels, dealing with less athletic customers, people with fear of the water, etc.. Ask LOTS of questions here on ScubaBoard. The people here, particularly @custureri, made a huge difference in the quality of my teaching. As you are in Florida, I'd suggest the trek over to Ft. Lauderdale for a workshop with him. He and @LandonL are owners of Aqui Watersports.

I would look at RAID as an agency. No dues, therefore minimal risk. But a more rigorous IDC/IE (which is good). Insurance makes no difference whether you are independent. Some shops do provide shared coverage, but I'd recommend against that, unless you have no assets and never plan to have any (as expected future income can be a factor).

I would say most of the people in the US do this on the side, as let's be honest, with homes in my area going for $1M, diving instruction isn't going to pay the mortgage!

I think most people start out teaching for shops, as then you get customers provided for you. Expect to make less than minimum wage, but use this opportunity to learn to teach properly: on the knees, managing comfort levels, dealing with less athletic customers, people with fear of the water, etc.. Ask LOTS of questions here on ScubaBoard. The people here, particularly @custureri, made a huge difference in the quality of my teaching. As you are in Florida, I'd suggest the trek over to Ft. Lauderdale for a workshop with him. He and @LandonL are owners of Aqui Watersports.

I would look at RAID as an agency. No dues, therefore minimal risk. But a more rigorous IDC/IE (which is good). Insurance makes no difference whether you are independent. Some shops do provide shared coverage, but I'd recommend against that, unless you have no assets and never plan to have any (as expected future income can be a factor).
I appreciate the insight, that actually cleared up quite a bit for me! I'm actually going to be living on the east coast soon, once I'm done with university, so I won't be far from Ft Lauderdale. Not 100% sure I want to go the teaching route as my main goal is technical diving but I'm definitely not opposed to the idea and between eventually helping support my diving hobby and also helping others, it does sound like a better idea the more I look into it. I've just been really hammering in the fundamentals like my buoyancy, trim, frog kicks, back kicks, gear configuration, SAC rate (finally broke below 0.5! -- 0.47), etc whenever I dive, and focusing on improving right now but that does look like a possibility for me in the relatively near future.

It really depends on your location. I don’t know of anyone in the Midwest who makes their living solely as an instructor. They might have a totally unrelated full time job, or the full time job might be something related such as owning a dive shop.

I appreciate the insight, that actually cleared up quite a bit for me! I'm actually going to be living on the east coast soon, once I'm done with university, so I won't be far from Ft Lauderdale. Not 100% sure I want to go the teaching route as my main goal is technical diving but I'm definitely not opposed to the idea and between eventually helping support my diving hobby and also helping others, it does sound like a better idea the more I look into it. I've just been really hammering in the fundamentals like my buoyancy, trim, frog kicks, back kicks, gear configuration, SAC rate (finally broke below 0.5! -- 0.47), etc whenever I dive, and focusing on improving right now but that does look like a possibility for me in the relatively near future.
there are a lot of expenses involved with becoming an instructor. Don't forget if you are in the US, you still need insurance for 7 years after you stop teaching! You are better off saving your money for technical diving. You have to teach like crazy to actually earn. You are better off working part time at McDonald's or retail somewhere to pay for your technical diving.

If you want to pay for helium, well, selling one of your kidneys is a more economically viable way to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom