Best Value Agency?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buckaltc

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been part timing as a DM for a long time and it is now time for me to step up and get Instructor certification. I work with a limited number of students each year. I only work with scouts and its not my full time job. In order to keep my costs down and therefore the costs to the kids I work with, which agency would you choose? I don't mind extra cost for value, but lately PADI seems to be costing more and giving less. Maybe thats all of them, but I only know PADI. Any input would be appreciated.

Are you looking to be an independent instructor, or work for a shop? If the former, your choices are more limited. SSI requires you work for a shop, for example; PADI, NAUI, and SEI don't; SDI sort of lets you be independent. The two big expenses are annual agency fes, and insurance. As an independent, the latter is pretty much the same for all the agencies; if you are working for a shop, you can often get in on their store polices. Agency fees vary, but I don't think it is that much variation.
Bottom Line? Money is not the big determinate as to which agency to choose, if you are independent.

Thank you. I am leaning towards independent, but I have a really good relationship with my LDS. That would lock me in to PADI but maybe I could work something out with them. I never compromise safety, but I really hate to spend money unnecessarily. My goal is to get as many kids introduced to the sport as I can. Lots of Discover Scuba and maybe 20 or 30 OW certs a year.

... That would lock me in to PADI but maybe I could work something out with them. ... I really hate to spend money unnecessarily.

Value can mean different things in different scenarios. If you are just becoming a new instructor and hope to find work at some shop somewhere then just based on numbers and popularity the odds will be in your favor with PADI.
If you know the shop you want to work for you should go with what they offer.
You are never "locked in" to PADI. In fact, it is much easier to cross over from PADI to other agencies than it is to start with another agency then crossover to PADI.

If you hate to spend money unnecessarily then being an instructor isn't for you. If you are teaching scouts then you better enjoy it because you won't be doing it for the money.

Other considerations:
BSA recognizes all legit SCUBA agencies but has the strongest bond with PADI (That's what they use at the Jamboree and Seabase)

The support of a local dive shop that is your same agency is invaluable.

If you are going 100% independent there are cheaper options available but they lack the flair and pageantry of PADI. NASE and PSS are good less expensive alternatives and affordable enough to be dual certified with PADI.

Being an indépendant instructor is very difficult financially. Please consider options carefully as elucidated above.

As tursiops said above insurance is the main expense and is going to be the same no matter what agency as the agency is not the insurance broker. If you get your insurance on a shops group policy then you are only covered when doing classes for the shop.

As tursiops said above insurance is the main expense and is going to be the same no matter what agency as the agency is not the insurance broker. If you get your insurance on a shops group policy then you are only covered when doing classes for the shop.
Yes, good point. If your insurance is through a shop you cannot (safely) be also an independent instructor.

I strongly encourage people to look at RAID due to their higher standards and better overall instruction. They also do not charge instructors/dive centers yearly dues.

I hope they continue to grow and shake up the industry. Lord knows it is needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom