Best Teric band ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This style may have potential. NATO, elastic, adjustable length. It has a hook to secure it which is good and bad. Good because there's no holes. Bad because it may come apart? The hook looks pretty deep though.

i just ordered one of these. Will let you know what I think...

So here's a question on the width of the elastic style NATO straps. I think the lug size on the Teric is 22mm? Might it be better to actually order one that's 24mm? When the strap stretches in length, it will naturally also narrow in width. So maybe a strap that's 24mm at no tension would be the perfect 22mm when stretched around the wrist enough to keep it still.

Can anyone who has an elastic style strap speak to this concept. If the strap is stretched to the point where it is comfortable but it feels secure, how much does the width reduce? Is it like the example I gave, when a 24mm at rest narrows to about 22mm when under a little stretch? Or would it need to be stretched a stupid amount for the width to narrow that much?

OK, I got the linked strap. I don't like it.
First, the strap is really too short. When fitted to the watch, it barely goes over my wrist and would not go over a 3mm suit as well; this is when it is fitted as a NATO (second piece of strap behind the watch so the watch doesn't slide around) strap. If fitted as a Zulu with just one pass of the strap through the pins, then it fits but slides around.
Second, it is cheap looking and built.The hardware is thin and flimsy looking, even though it seems strong.
The sort of good news is the material does stretch, and does not get perceptibly narrower. It will stretch about a factor of two, and even at full elongation the width changes less than a mm.

That same dude made another version -
This one avoids the pin unscrewing to charge issue, but shares the single watch pin failure vulnerability of the Narkedat90 strap and stock non-NATO straps.
I ended up getting this one and am pretty happy with it. It comes with 4 screws (2 on each end) you can use to replace the pins. This effectively eliminates the single pin failure vulnerability if that is a concern, since both screws would have to fail on the same side for you to lose the computer. Only downside is that it is purely for function and doesn't look great if you wanted to wear this as your daily watch.

Wanted to throw out there that I bought one of the Panatime $20 NATO straps, it works great, I got orange so it would stand out if it managed to come off, unlikely with pin redundancy and a triple folded tail.

Side note putting the strap backwards and sliding it under the open hoops makes for a nice little addition to screen protection when transporting or storing.
1645686572094.png
1645686582740.png

Edit: if you have a larger wrist or wear more than a 7mm you might want to look for a longer strap, I have mine wound to use up lots of extra length because I have a quite small wrist and wear a thinner 7mm.

Thanks for bumping the thread.. I had forgotten to update my earlier post. I took the Zulu band to Socorro and beat it up pretty good over the course of a week on the Belle Amie (gearing up multiple times a day, banging around getting in and out of skiffs, rig removal in the water and passing up, etc. so a pretty good workout for a band). I didn't have to dig my backup out and the stretch was nice since I didn't have to readjust it at depth. It survived the trip unscathed so for now I am sticking with it. Time will tell how many dives it will last, but so far so good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom