Best Supermarket Food Choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uncfnp

Solo Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Looking for suggestions on the best food choices for local or Dutch foods. Love to try new foods but always intimidated by nonenglish labels.

For instance, what is the best choice cheese for sandwiches? Years ago I asked a fellow shopper and his recommendation was excellent but for the life of me, on trips since, I haven't been able to remember the label.

If there is already a good thread would someone please link it.

Again, this is grocery store options, not restaurant.

Thanks

My wife speaks Dutch and is therefore in charge of our shopping excursions on Bonaire. As far as cheese, the major Dutch cheese is gouda, and if you want to be all Dutch-like in your pronunciation you can say "how-da." For our group of typically six or seven, the pre-sliced cheese packages are not big enough. We will ask them at the deli counter to slice us a kilo of gouda, a kilo of ham, and a kilo of salami, which lasts us for lunches (and then some!) all week. The new-ish Van den Tweel supermarket has the nicest stuff.

My wife speaks Dutch and is therefore in charge of our shopping excursions on Bonaire. As far as cheese, the major Dutch cheese is gouda, and if you want to be all Dutch-like in your pronunciation you can say "how-da." For our group of typically six or seven, the pre-sliced cheese packages are not big enough. We will ask them at the deli counter to slice us a kilo of gouda, a kilo of ham, and a kilo of salami, which lasts us for lunches (and then some!) all week. The new-ish Van den Tweel supermarket has the nicest stuff.

You probably want jonge (young) gouda for sandwiches, not oude (old).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

You probably want jonge (young) gouda for sandwiches, not oude (old).

Yep.

UNCFNP: Almost all of what you see in the supermarket is sliced young gouda, which has a soft texture and is therefore perfect for sandwiches. They do have some old gouda, which you can identify by the deeper yellow color and crumbly texture, but it would likely be sold in chunks, not sliced. Van den Tweel is somewhat upscale, not unlike, say, a Harris Teeter. Cheeses, meats, veggies--all very nice and imported.

Thanks guys.

Are there any other foods I should look for? I know there is a bread that I absolutely love. I know it when I see it but can't recall the name. Makes wonderful morning toast.

Any interesting cereals, breakfast foods, cuts of meat, desserts? There has got to be something new for me to try.

Thanks guys.

Are there any other foods I should look for? I know there is a bread that I absolutely love. I know it when I see it but can't recall the name. Makes wonderful morning toast.

Any interesting cereals, breakfast foods, cuts of meat, desserts? There has got to be something new for me to try.

try yogurt with fresh banana :)

Different breads go by different names everywhere. We buy based on appearance not name.

Thanks guys.

From the traffic circle at Bari Reef go east. The road runs for a ways, then you'll come to a stop sign. You can see the Rincon/Kralendjik road to your right, but go straight thru the intersection. After about 500 yards you will see a school on your left and a bakery on your right. Don't go to the school.

Fresh-baked bread, sliced while you wait. Also sometimes muffins and pastries.

Muslex! That's the bread. Its in the bakery section. Toasted and buttered. Yum. We go through at least 2 loaves each visit.

Back
Top Bottom