Best Supermarket Food Choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Google translate (translate.google.com) allows you to download a language onto your phone/tablet/etc for free for times when you are not connected to the internet. I used that last time I was on Bonaire with good success. My wife is vegetarian and it helped us look at ingredients to make sure our butter didn't have fish products (DHA) etc.

Also, contrary to advice here, we like the aged gouda on our sandwiches, it just requires somewhat thinner slicing.

it seems that sprinkles of every variety are very popular and we had fun putting sprinkles on peanut butter sandwiches. also liked the raisin bread quite a bit. wander the aisles and pick a few things that look interesting.

consider bringing your own canvas grocery bags, or planning on buying one/two there. If I recall they did not have plastic/paper bags at van den tweel. also if you want to use a shopping cart I believe it takes a quarter or two to unlock it...to help keep people from leaving them in the parking lot, you get your money back when you put it back in the rack.

The basic vanilla ice cream is the best... Van Den Tweel super market... Best ice cream I've ever had from a box..

Jim

Van den Tweel has a great raisin bread that we ate most mornings with coffee and yogurt. In the meat section they have what appears to be a packaged cube steak. Unlike most cube steak you get here in the states it's very tender and great with a little seasoning and toss them on the grill, they come off fork tender. We found most of their seasoned/marinated meat packs to be very good and priced right.

Van den Tweel has a great raisin bread that we ate most mornings with coffee and yogurt. In the meat section they have what appears to be a packaged cube steak. Unlike most cube steak you get here in the states it's very tender and great with a little seasoning and toss them on the grill, they come off fork tender. We found most of their seasoned/marinated meat packs to be very good and priced right.

They have the best meats I've found yet... We like to get the $19.00 BBQ pack that has 4 different meats and just pick one a night... We figure it's less then $10 bucks for a complete dinner ... Fresh bread, baked beans and rice & a Veg... And it's fun to cook together as a plus... :wink:

Jim...

. . .

Also, contrary to advice here, we like the aged gouda on our sandwiches, it just requires somewhat thinner slicing.

You crazy rebel you. :wink: I suppose it could also depend on how many months/years aged it is. The older the gouda, the more crumbly.

it seems that sprinkles of every variety are very popular and we had fun putting sprinkles on peanut butter sandwiches. . . .

"hagelslag"--also referred to in some places as "muizestrontjes" (little mouse poops)

They have the best meats I've found yet...

I don't know that I saw any at the Van den Tweel, but at the old Cultimara we once picked up a package of horse meat. That was fun.

Google translate (translate.google.com) allows you to download a language onto your phone/tablet/etc for free for times when you are not connected to the internet. I used that last time I was on Bonaire with good success. My wife is vegetarian and it helped us look at ingredients to make sure our butter didn't have fish products (DHA) etc.

it seems that sprinkles of every variety are very popular and we had fun putting sprinkles on peanut butter sandwiches. also liked the raisin bread quite a bit. wander the aisles and pick a few things that look interesting.

consider bringing your own canvas grocery bags, or planning on buying one/two there. If I recall they did not have plastic/paper bags at van den tweel. also if you want to use a shopping cart I believe it takes a quarter or two to unlock it...to help keep people from leaving them in the parking lot, you get your money back when you put it back in the rack.

And for acquiring that most important of foods, https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pivo-order-a-beer/id633262298?mt=8

pivo-beer-app.jpg

The basic vanilla ice cream is the best... Van Den Tweel super market... Best ice cream I've ever had from a box..

Jim
I don't know. I am a bit of an ice cream snob. I'll take you up on that challenge.

You crazy rebel you. :wink: I suppose it could also depend on how many months/years aged it is. The older the gouda, the more crumbly.

"hagelslag"--also referred to in some places as "muizestrontjes" (little mouse poops)

I don't know that I saw any at the Van den Tweel, but at the old Cultimara we once picked up a package of horse meat. That was fun.
Mouse poop and horse meat? I know I said interesting but...

That reminds me, Heineken and Amstel Bright are Eric's typical go to beers in Bonaire but there was a recent thread that recommended a beer we had not heard of. Anyone know the name or other suggestions?

Probably Polar. Originally brewed in Venezuela, but I think it was moved elsewhere. Subsequent chatter said it wasn't as good.

I drink Bright when on Bon, so couldn't say.

wwguy is up on this. He can shed the light of fact on my speculation...

Haven't been to Bonaire (yet), but Indonesian food has a strange way of spreading to everywhere the Dutch planted flags (yes, I know the history...) You may find some Indonesian delicacies in the grocery stores, too. If nothing else, try the shrimp toast as a potato-chip-like snack with a faint seafood flavor.

Haven't been to Bonaire (yet), but Indonesian food has a strange way of spreading to everywhere the Dutch planted flags (yes, I know the history...) You may find some Indonesian delicacies in the grocery stores, too. If nothing else, try the shrimp toast as a potato-chip-like snack with a faint seafood flavor.

"May"?! The grocery stores like Van den Tweel have a full aisle of Indonesian stuff. Satay Night is a tradition on our Bonaire trips! Fried rice (nasi goreng) made with miscellaneous leftovers from previous meals is inevitable, too. And yes, we get the shrimp crackers (krupuk), which are fun to watch puff up when tossed into the fryer. Since they puff up like crazy, one package yields crackers for days.

Back
Top Bottom