Best spots at Point Lobos reachable from shore.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What about Sea Mount? Any spots with curious seal activity more than others?

I've done sea mount from shore a few times and it is rather unique and does have some hydrocoral. video: YouTube - ‪1973krl's Channel‬‏

My best harbor seal encounters have been at lovers point and hidden beach (1st little beach north from San Carlos beach)

-Ken L

Sea Mount is a bit further than HitW, it's probably as far as I'd venture on a single tank (though I know a few people who can make it a lot further on a 1er).

If you've been to GPW, a really great area is hopping around to the back of the wall (which is really much more of a long pinnacle) and exploring the canyons behind it.

The eastern side of Middle Reef (the side facing GPW) is much more rarely dived than the western side from what I've seen, and IME the easten gives you the best chance of running into leopard sharks.

I agree with Ken, the best places to find seals are probably in Monterey (we've always had a lot of luck with seals at McAbee beach).

I've done sea mount from shore a few times and it is rather unique and does have some hydrocoral. video: YouTube - ‪1973krl's Channel‬‏

My best harbor seal encounters have been at lovers point and hidden beach (1st little beach north from San Carlos beach)

-Ken L

I've had seal encounters at Lovers:

[video=youtube;FAQ3vi2spso]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAQ3vi2spso[/video]

I had just read there were a number of friendly seals at Lobos.

Sea Mount is a bit further than HitW, it's probably as far as I'd venture on a single tank (though I know a few people who can make it a lot further on a 1er).

If you've been to GPW, a really great area is hopping around to the back of the wall (which is really much more of a long pinnacle) and exploring the canyons behind it.

The eastern side of Middle Reef (the side facing GPW) is much more rarely dived than the western side from what I've seen, and IME the easten gives you the best chance of running into leopard sharks.

I agree with Ken, the best places to find seals are probably in Monterey (we've always had a lot of luck with seals at McAbee beach).

I did GPW and didn't see any hydrocoral at the time, and I've done the canyons to the right of it. Both have been pretty cool regardless. So far the only place I've personally seen a branch of coral was near HitW.

IMG_0367.jpg

I did GPW and didn't see any hydrocoral at the time, and I've done the canyons to the right of it. Both have been pretty cool regardless. So far the only place I've personally seen a branch of coral was near HitW.

View attachment 98649

Seen hydrocoral shorediving from Butterfly house and from Carmel River Beach also. It is patchy and not a sure thing every time I visit these sites. I have found that you need to get out in the deeper area and once there don't look near the bottom but rather ascend a bit up the larger rocks out there that are exposed to some current or surge. I've been surprised to come across some relatively large 'bushes' near the top of big rocks at just 20-30fsw. At that shallower than expected depth the color of the hydrocoral is especially vivid too.

good luck

Back
Top Bottom