Best specialties to start with

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would say deep diver, nitrox and peak performance buoyancy. If you are interested in UW photography, PPB is a critical skill. The better control you have over your buoyancy, the better you will be able to move to the right spot and take your shot without damaging the reef.

UW photography is not something I would necessarily recommend. There are so many different rigs out there. Also, the goals and vision of photographers can be very different. You could take it but you need to talk to the instructor to determine if they can really advance your skill level.

Dont know just what most marketable is. I will guess it is what is most used by clients. As a DM i look at them as the pillar of what to be. We are visual creatures so anything that can be observed will be envied by others Hence buoyancy and nav and propulsion would be a must. Then there is the stuff that doesn't show but is impressive to newby's , that would be deep and nitrox if used in the area. Emergency O2 provider I think is a given since everyone is in your safe keeping.

Probably most important is being able to discuss diving with newby's with hundreds of dives to you credit in all environments. It it the credibility factor.

Shore diving / rough water entry is an undervalued specialty.

Raw diving experience is highly regarded by the customers of dive professionals.

OP, can you clarify your question?
Are you going for instructor, and you want to know which specialties you can most profitably teach?
Or are you talking about specialties for yourself, to make you a better diver?

Yes, I plan on being an instructor. I was wondering which ones were most marketable to teach.

---------- Post added September 17th, 2015 at 07:07 AM ----------

According to your profile, you have less than 100 dives. I would think THAT would be the biggest problem with marketing yourself.

I'm thinking quite long term here. These are things I plan to do preemptively to be more marketable when the time comes. Numbers come with time, but I'm trying to get as many certs as I can so I can teach them in the future.

---------- Post added September 17th, 2015 at 07:09 AM ----------

Forget about all the pretty cards and just become an awesome diver. Be the kind of diver that total strangers will want to emulate, both in & out of the water.

And have fun.

What at is your recommendation on how to be the one that people want to emulate?

What at is your recommendation on how to be the one that people want to emulate?

Out of the water? Be a professional. Be organized, your gear kept in good shape and is working properly, maintained at the proper intervals, computer battery not dying on you before a dive. Don't take shortcuts when you're setting up your gear. Have your gear all ready to jump in the water before it's time. Have everything clipped off where it belongs. Look the part. Don't wear ratty ripped up shirts when you've got students around, save those for your fun diving with the boys.

In the water? Be properly weighted, in trim, with your gear properly streamlined. No dangling gauges or consoles, don't flail around like Animal from the Muppets. Be calm, cool and collected and be ready to handle whatever might happen. Again...look the part. Look like someone who knows what they are doing and someone who new divers might want to point to and say "I want to be that kind of diver!!"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom