Best source for tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cstreu1026

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am wanting to purchase a tank or two. One for air and one for nitrox. I talked to my favorite local dive shop and got a pretty reasonable quote of $140 for an Al. 80 and a little more for an O2 cleaned tank. To me that seems very reasonable are there any options I should check out?

You probably won't find a better deal than your LDS on this one.

Once you get done getting spanked for shipping for a tank if you buy it online, the cost difference is negligable.

$140 sounds pretty good for a tank. You might be able to convince them to throw in a boot or definately a cap.

Tanks are one of the few items that shop owners have a very low markup on.
You can probably buy tanks at retail for less than what your LDS pays for them if you hit a big chain store like Divers Outlet; they buy the critters by the semi-load & sell 'em cheap.
Won't do you much good in KY unless ya drive to FL on vacation though.
(pack yer bags, I just gave you an excuse for a vacation!):wink:
If you buy from your LDS, it doesn't hurt to ask them for some free air.

How cheap would they be and where are they located in Florida. I will be there in about 6 weeks. I checked out leisure pro and divers direct and they do not seem any cheaper than the LDS.

cstreu1026 once bubbled...
How cheap would they be and where are they located in Florida...

Last fall when I was there they had Al80's for $120, but when we were down a few weeks ago they were $130 or $140. I also saw low pressure steel 80's for $150 at one store, it was either West Palm or Ft.Lauderdale/Sawgrass. They have stores all over Florida: Orlando, WPB, Fort Lauderdale, Homestead/Fl. City, Key Largo, Key West, probably somewhere else I missed, too.

[Edit: I thought Bob was talking about Divers Direct, then I noticed that he said Divers Outlet, but then I realized Divers Direct bought out Divers Outlet :confused: ]

[Another Edit: I think the two were always the same company, just mail order and retail divisions. Anyway...]

cstreu1026 once bubbled...
I checked out leisure pro and divers direct and they do not seem any cheaper than the LDS.
Your going to get hit for shipping on this one, trust me. A std. 80 at LP is $109. I'm sure shipping would at least be $20, probably more. I'm sure someone else will agree. Plus, you can bargain with your LDS.

I just got one this Christmas from Divers Direct in Orlando. The price was $120 for the tank only. The guy there said something about discounts on air fills. But if you don't live here, the air fills aren't really going to help much :D They also did a VIP right then and there.

Considering the very minimal price difference I think I will buy locally. I would have to get an Al 80 for less than $100 to make it worth my while to take away business from the local shop and pay for the shipping cost.

Throw the guy a bone. At the most the on-line places might save you a couple of bucks but you will get more in the long run from the LDS.
Even if you don't get any free air out of it.....you will climb one rung higher on the devoted customer ladder. The higher you go the better the payoff. We all like to hear the words "Don't worry about it." every once in a while when we have our wallets flipped open after getting a repair done.

Bob3 once bubbled...
Tanks are one of the few items that shop owners have a very low markup on.
You haven't shopped in Colorado lately have you? Normal AL80s run about $200 or more here.

Oh, and that's with a three year old hydro -- sorry, no discount for that either.

Roak

you may like to hear that, but I know when I hear "don't worry about it", in LDS talk it means "you've already paid or you'll pay for it next time in, you just don't know it". I just had to say it. Don't get me wrong, there are some great shop owners, but there are also no freebies or deals at any LDS. Devoted or dependant? There is a difference. A devoted customer doesn't have to overpay. You shouldn't have to make a deal with the devil to be treated right, there's too many other options. If my LDS even sold tanks, I'd buy one from them but they have 60 to rent and won't even order one for me. Its funny how we think its ok for the LDS to nail us on prices for a while til we "get in good" with them, but its wrong for us to turn around and do basically the same thing to them by buying elsewhere till they "get in good" with us. My lds doens't sell me tanks or a service kit every now and then and I don't make my next major purchase from them. I don't owe them anything, especially my loyalty... not until they earn it. I'll never understand why we let ourselves be mistreated like we do. When we first start out diving, our lds knows we don't know much and our wallets take a beating til we wise up. The lds realizes this and starts backing off a little and we think this guy is awesome now. Why? Why don't we realize this jerk ripped us off. Hey, what were we talking about here again? Shrimp? Sorry for the rant. I guess I shouldn't care because I don't have this problem, but I hate to see and know others are blindly hit by lds' every day. Buy tanks, air, accessories, and have them service your regs if they will walk you through the procedure and have a well organized and neat workshop. Heck, their prices are even good on equipment when they have their clearance (everyone knows my prices are too high sale) or going out of business sale.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom