Best Snorkel Spots in Bonaire??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd vote for the relatively shallow and calm area with lots of soft corals just north of Sand $ and BDR, Andrea I &II to Witches Hut and Tolo, maybe.

@ReadyDiverOne

I wear a size 10 shoe.

Jets say "Large 6" - way too small for me. I'll have my lovely bride try them on tonight. Keep in mind Jetfins are majorly negatively buoyant.

The Cressi's fit me with both 3 and 5 mm boots. They're really comfortable. It says "M - L" on them, I guess men's large. I like these a lot, just got "new gear fever" and bought new ones...

I can send them to you if you want (PM me address), and you can see if they'll work for you. If not carry them on to Bon and give them to the youth org, I think "Scuba Rangers" or something like that -

@KOB you around?

I have a question about snorkeling Salt Pier (kind of directed at Bas since he is the expert). My group is going to be there the week of July 27- Aug 3 (staying at Buddy Dive) and my wife is not a diver but she does snorkel is it feasible/OK for her to snorkel at salt pier while our group dives it? Also she is a huge sea turtle fan (has 2 turtle tattoos to prove it) where would be a good snorkel spot for her to have a chance at seeing one or more of them?
I would almost guarantee sea turtles (that is probably too strong of a word), I always see them in the shallows eating sea lettuce. Note they are small, and if you watch from shore you can see them surface for air.

It is very feasible, however, what appears to be an easy entrance always dumps me when people are looking. Count the waves.

Salt pier would be where I would take someone who only snorkeled if I had to pick one spot.

Go straight out from the entrance and look around in about 10 feet of water for turtles. Swim out to the posts for seeing fish.

JJ

I have a question about snorkeling Salt Pier....my wife is not a diver but she does snorkel is it feasible/OK for her to snorkel at salt pier while our group dives it?
It is but neither group is allowed if there's a ship loading or inbound (it's a working salt operation). Check with the Cargill office that's on-site. A lot of our dive was spent around 10' or less among the pier structures
Also where would be a good snorkel spot for her to have a chance at seeing one or more of them?
Your DM (or Bas) will know.. As I mentioned we found turtles under the coral heads in about 10' of water between the dive mooring and Klein Bonaire itself at a site called Jerry's Reef. The divers head away from the island into deeper water.

Also Andrea 1 is a good snorkel site, and 1000 steps almost always has turtles. Oil slick can also be good when it is not too windy, I often see rays and turtles and once ina while squid.

Hi, we're going to Bonaire in August for a week; several of us are divers but not all. I've done a lot of research and bought a dive book and dive/snorkel map, but I would still love to hear from people what the really good snorkeling spots are. We are all strong swimmers/snorkelers.

Thanks.
My wife and I just got back from Bonaire. On our last day after a full week of diving, we took the Epic Tours water taxi to Klein Bonaire. The captain was very friendly and brought us to No Name Beach where we dropped off our dry bags and got back on the boat so he could take us a bit down the shore and dropped us in to drift snorkel back to No Name. It was a great snorkel. The reef is a bit sparse but lots of fish. We saw an eagle ray a turtle and some VERY curious french angels among many others. We drifted for about an hour before reaching the beach again where you can hang out until you're ready to take the taxi back. Highly recommend. $20 pp round trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom