Best Snorkel Spots in Bonaire??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReadyDiverOne

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, we're going to Bonaire in August for a week; several of us are divers but not all. I've done a lot of research and bought a dive book and dive/snorkel map, but I would still love to hear from people what the really good snorkeling spots are. We are all strong swimmers/snorkelers.

Thanks.

Personal favourites for either snorkelling or diving are (in no particular order):
- Kleine Bonaire (high viz, lots of animal life, strong current though)
- Pink Beach (high viz, shallow, bait balls, easy shore entry, a beach)
- Bari Reef (good viz, healthy reefs, lots of tarpon and other critters)
- Salt Pier (tons of animal life)
- Something Special (decent reef life, right in town and close for a gelato at Gios or a beer or 'something')

Depending on where you are staying your house reef might be your best bet. Technically most dive sites are fine for snorkelling. However, be wary of the access/entry points. I would not be caught barefooted at any of the dive sites. Definitely have scuba boots and ideally open heel fins.

I would suggest a bit farther south to Margate Bay. There are fairly large expanses of coral, both soft and hard in 10-20 ft of water close to shore and the entry is easy. It's one of my favorite dive sites because of that.
For the shear fun of it. you might also want to give Oil Slick a try. Not the best snorkeling but the entry is lots of fun, you jump off a cliff about 6-8 ft high into 15-20 ft of water.....you can do it in full scuba gear if you like.

I totally agree in about the hard soled shoes, the shore is really trough on the feet.

We started going to Bonaire because it was the best shore snorkling in the Caribbean. We snorkled all the sites and liked it so well that we started diving. The shore diving is even better than the shore snorkling. It's all good, snorkle and/or dive at all the sites.

wayaka 2 in the National Park is also very good for snorkeling. Klein snorkeling is better if you do it from a boat. You can also snorkel around Karel's Beach bar and at Buddy Resort you can see the coral restoration project going on. I haven't had a bad experience snorkeling.

We started going to Bonaire because it was the best shore snorkling in the Caribbean. We snorkled all the sites and liked it so well that we started diving. The shore diving is even better than the shore snorkling. It's all good, snorkle and/or dive at all the sites.

Karpata, Margate and Tori's also belong on anyone's list.

I second Salt Pier and Bari. The pier starts out real shallow and never really gets too deep. Lots of stuff living on the structure above20'

Bari has a big rubble field to the south of the Den Laman property b4 you get to Coco Beach. Remains of a resort that was destroyed in a hurrincane decades ago. There's a road that leads to a small parking area there. I found a batfish there once which was unusual for the area

I believe you can also bring snorkel gear (no dive gear) on the water taxi to Klein but hey just drop you off the beach and there's no facilities.

Many of the Klein moorings are just off the beach so it gets real shallow if you head toward the island, the dive is usually away from it. Jerry's Reef might still be a good one, we found turtles under the coral heads in about `10' near the beach after our dive. ask your dive operator

Lac Cay on the north side of Lac Bay is also a known snorkel spot - I've not been there - no diving Lac Bay is really shallow. Interesting to watch the kitesurfers there

Between Red Beryl and Margate Bay. A lot of very pretty shallow reef.

Salt Pier. Lots of fish life and Turtles

Ladania's Leap to Karpata drift snorkel is very nice, Lots of coral and good chance of Turtles.

Drift snorkel Candyland to the end of the 'road' of Taylor Maid. Great coral, big Elkhorn and large Parrot fishes.

On the inside of the barrier reef of Lac Bay at Sorobon. Walk across the shallows leaving from Jibe City to the barrier reef. Start snorkeling once walking becomes difficult. And follow the barrier reef heading north weaving in and out of nice coral formations. Go early! Good chance of seeing Rays, Barracuda's, Large Parrot fishes and the occasional Nurse Shark!

If it's a very calm day with only small waves, you can snorkel outside the barrier reef. Do not go through it. But rather walk through the shallows to the land tip and enter the ocean there. Then head south over the shallows. Tons and tons of Seafans, many Turtles, chance of Reef Shark, Queen Triggers, Ocean Triggers. And if you can find White Hole... a lot of Tarpon. Line up the transmitter towers of TWR at Hilma Hooker site with the surf shack of Frans brothers at the tip of the Sorobon beach. That will put you close to the White Hole. It's close to the barrier reef so stay shallow if you want to find it.

And basically anywhere there's structure in the shallows where critters can make their homes is good snorkeling and you'll get great finds.

But for most of these sites... bring good hard soled booties and strap fins. Bare foot fins and switching shoes for fins in the water is a PITA and asking for trouble!

Have fun!! :)

Lac bay. It's a long way out, but once you're there you're in a nursery in 4-8 ft of water. Cover up and carry some water.

Oops, redundant. Didn't read Bas's post before hitting "go".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom