Best Snorkel Spots in Bonaire??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One follow-up question: given the warnings re the rocky shores/entries and the strong recommendations that we all have booties and strap fins, do people have any suggestions for such for the snorkelers (divers already have those). Thinking something more lightweight, less expensive, etc., particularly as we already own a bunch of full foot decent snorkel fins and I'm not sure they'll get much future use. Thanks.

Originally a snorkeler here with closed heel fins and no boots. Best investment I've made to-date is spending under $200 for a pair of open heel fins and 5mm booties. Here's why. In Bonaire virtually mandatory to have boots when you are accessing the snorkel/dive spots from shore. Regardless of whether you are in Bonaire or say Curacao with easier beach access having a pair of booties will ensure that you don't step on any nasty critters or glass or something else sharp. In the long run the <$200 investment will save you in medical bills, pain and loss diving/snorkel time. I'm as frugal as they come. I would gather up all your pennies and buy a pair of open heel fins and booties. They are even available used.

I have Mares Avanti Quattro fins and Mares 5mm boots. Note that these boots are not hard sole. I'm reasonably happy thus far with both and have had for 4+ years. The fins have rubber bungee style straps and are real easy to put on in the water. I bought both when I was just getting into diving. Note that I just threw out a pair of Mare closed heel fins as I have no use for them. I first bought these 10 years ago for an anniversary cruise. There are lots of good fins and boots on the market these days. I'd recommend bungee style rubber straps for the fins. Always good to buy an extra strap or 2 for the safe a dive kit. My next boots will be the hard sole variety. All in all these are personal choices. Oh yes, and always try on scuba/snorkeling stuff to ensure a fit 4 u.

I have a question about snorkeling Salt Pier (kind of directed at Bas since he is the expert). My group is going to be there the week of July 27- Aug 3 (staying at Buddy Dive) and my wife is not a diver but she does snorkel is it feasible/OK for her to snorkel at salt pier while our group dives it? Also she is a huge sea turtle fan (has 2 turtle tattoos to prove it) where would be a good snorkel spot for her to have a chance at seeing one or more of them?

I also have Mares Quatros, love them. But they're a little bit on the expensive side for a one weeks use. I would recommend to get over to the Dive Friends retail shop on the Hato traffic circle first thing after you get here. And buy a pair of their house brand booties (CDT Caribbean Dive Trading) I think they are around $40, maybe cheaper if you get the low version. And a pair of strap fins that are within a reasonable price range. The TUSA's are pretty cheap and do the job just fine. For 100 to 120$ you will have a good set up. If you want to get around and check out all these places you will be happy you made the investment.
Yes, she can snorkel salt pier while you dive. It's easy going there, no problem. It's a good spot for Turtle too. In the shallows on the right/north side of the pier. There are several hanging out there. Stand on shore and scan the surface, you'll see them pop up for air one after the other!
One I forgot to mention in my list of good snorkel spots is Playa Frans. Nice to snorkel over and through the shallow barrier reef heading left from the fisherman's huts there. Since it's way up there it could be a good combo with either Ladania's Leap to Karpata and/or Candyland & Taylor Maid.
Snorkeling in the Washington Park....
Playa Funchi is nice. Right side, over shallow reef and along the cliff face on right hand side.
If it's calm!! Boka Bartol is a good snorkel spot as well, Stay in shallows and navigate the old barrier reef.
I could not care less about Wayaka, sure.. nice setting with small beach. But a LOT of algae, not much coral.
Slagbaai is good on right side close to the cliffs. And very nice reef at about 20-25ft a little ways to the left of the bay. (beware of current. if it's strong head to shore and swim right along shore to get back to exit)

Has anyone mentioned Tori's reef? We had some great snorkels there. Very easy entry and if you go to the right (close to shore) after getting in by the bridge, there are TONS of fish. It is a lovely dive site too, and we have often seen eagle rays in the sandy area before the drop off.

Yeah, I get it, I get it. What fins and boots did you buy? Thanks.

I have these:
Fins.JPG

The jets have never been in the water - gift from daughters, too small for me.

The Cressi's were "emergency replacements" I bought on Bon years ago when I lost a fin at night at Oil Slick. I liked them a lot, but got new Dive Rites.

They've been lying in my closet for several years, but in perfect condition - Cressi's have some scratches.

My plan was to take them to Bon on our trip 07/27/2019 - 08/10/2019 and give them to the youth org there.

If you want them, and if our trips coincide, we can connect there and you can have them, use them, and leave them when your trip is over.

@gbf, thanks, maybe that will workout. Can you tell me what sizes? And can you wear 3mm boots with them? Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom