Best smallcraft for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lamont:
I'm interested in a pre-depricated model. Ideally something with just a solid hull and a solid engine. Don't care about ripped up upholstery since I'm sure throwing doubles around on it will mess it up... Whalers and RIBs would really fit the bill better, but used bayliners seem to be about 1/2 the price...

In that case stay clear of Bayliners (and SeaRays). They were never designed for the abuse typical of serious diving. They might be cheap, but like everything else out there, you get what you pay for. People who tell you they are a steal are in denial about market economics.

~Marlinspike

catherine96821:
well, Bayliners are not the DIR vessels of the boater's world I can pretty much go that far. I would say a Twin V or a Force would be the simple work horse DIR style baot.
That would be a RIB or a Radon. Radons are almost the exclusive boat of the urchin diving industry, for good reason. And it's hard to beat a RIB for a dive platform, IMHO.
I think there needs to be a Bayliner bashing thread?

The maritime skiIf a Whaler is what you want then you should look at Maritime Skiff (http://www.mskiff.com/).

I like those. They typically are somewhat lighter and more narrow than an equivlent Whaler and have a more rounded bottom but I definitly like them. I looked at them. They are more cost effective and efficient small boats.

The boat I would own if I had it in a slip is not the boat I would own if I had to tow it behind my truck. For know I am a trailer boater and as all know a trailerable boat like a medium size Whaler, Maritime Skiff or several others is my preference. If and when we get back to the coast I might be more inclined to get some sort of cabin job in the 30 foot range, not exactly sure what I would for.

I agree, on boats for offshbore use under approx 30 foot length, outboards are the power plants of choice and this is not an accident or because they are cheap because they are not. Once over about 22 feet twins make big sense. Thing is that modern outboards are very reliable, I have twin batteries, can mount a kicker if I want to. In good weather and known waters this is sufficient. More and more I see even large offshore battle wagons with a big single outboard. Twins are great and the twin engine useage came into being when engines were not so reliable, these new electronic controlled engines (Merc, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki and on and on, Evinrude, two stroke or four) run like a Toyota car--they just go without much fuss. N

Thats why your seeing big singles out there. They are now very reliable and it's far cheaper to buy one bigger single and a small kicker than two med size twins.
Also, I think if you look you will see a large number of I/Os in smaller boats. Both have some advantages.

lamont:
So, if you're not going 25 miles offshore are bayliners okay? Here in Puget Sound we just don't get very heavy seas, conditions tend to be pretty predicatable, and you're never that far away from someplace to get out of the seas/wind. Its not the NE Atlantic.

It's always better to get first hand information from those with first hand experience. Some of the folks above have neither. Their information seems to be 2nd hand stories about a 1980's Bayliner that was not maintained by the owner. Bayliner owners don't start out loyal to Bayliner. They are consumers just like you who decided to kick the tires and get their own information. Compare warranties, engines, power, and space engineering. This assumes you have decided on your best design. A lot of Bayliner owners upgrade to larger Bayliners. If it was a bad product, we would not waste our money on another one.

My first hand experience with Bayliner begins with my year 2000 19' Cuddy Cabin. Since then I have 'kicked the tires' on several larger cruisers. I have decided on a 24' cruiser as my next boat (next Fall is the goal). My cuddy has been a tank. My most distant dive site is 23 miles from the mainland, 15 miles from an island. With the usual prudent mariner preparations this kind of open ocean cruise is no problem, even on my 19' cuddy. I have started my 7th season on my boat.

--Matt

"Also, I think if you look you will see a large number of I/Os in smaller boats. Both have some advantages."

Yes, I see some but they are much fewer. Yes, I understand that on lake boats and most common play boats I/O engines are the choice. People are more familiar with something that looks like a car and the old reputation of cantankerous outboards does not die easy. My 13 footer I had as a kid, I remember pulling and pulling and pulling on that rope and using words that no barely not pre teen should ever use to describe that rusted hulk. Outboards now are a whole nuther game.
I just do not see many I/O on pupose built offshore boats , big or little. Yes, there are some. In a head to head test in Trailer Boat, I think, with a 20 foot cuddy powered by a Merc 150 Opti outboard vs a 225 I/O Merc on the same exact boat the outboard achieved higher speeds, better economy and better acceleration. Same boat, two different approaches to power. The conclusion was that both versions were excellent boats, the outboard powered one got the nod for serious use. N

lamont:
I'm interested in a pre-depricated model. Ideally something with just a solid hull and a solid engine. Don't care about ripped up upholstery since I'm sure throwing doubles around on it will mess it up... Whalers and RIBs would really fit the bill better, but used bayliners seem to be about 1/2 the price...
They are half the price because they are not the same caliber as a Grady, or some of the other more expensive brands. There is an absolute world of difference. I am speaking from a personal perspective. Prior to the boat I have now, I had a 25' Wellcraft which was a decent middle price range boat. But, when I had the opportunity to go on a friends' 25 Grady I had to admit, it was a much higher quality boat. Do your own search, climb on a few and develop your own opinion. Of course in the used market, how it was taken care of is very important. A pristine Bayliner would be better than a beat up higher market boat. All of this said, buy what you can afford.
If you can afford the Bayliner, but not the Cat, Regulator, Whaler then it is a moot point. One point form years of experience and observation, if you are leaving it in the water as opposed to trailering, go with the outboard not the I/O!

The big bonus of I/Os is longevity and rebuildability( I think I just made up a word!) For 99% of recreational boaters, they will never wear out an outboard. For commercial users, they just plan to buy a new OB every three years. The new Legs from Volvo are bullet proof and will go 3500 to 5000 hours without a rebuild as opposed to old VPs and mercs that you might get 1500 hours out of.
For smaller rec boats, which is what this thread started as, I would have to vote OB most every time but we still see a lot of I/Os out there.
Matt, quick question. Have you owned anything but Bayliner? Just wondering.

Wildcard:
That would be a RIB or a Radon. Radons are almost the exclusive boat of the urchin diving industry, for good reason. And it's hard to beat a RIB for a dive platform, IMHO.
I think there needs to be a Bayliner bashing thread?

I dived off a Zodiac in Malaysia about 20 miles offshore. It was only a 14 footer but it was extremely stable and handled pretty rough seas well. But, there are no creature comforts, like a bimini, and it's hard to even stand up and pee over the side. This is a very important design criteria. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom