Best smallcraft for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"The big bonus of I/Os is longevity and rebuildability( I think I just made up a word!) For 99% of recreational boaters, they will never wear out an outboard. For commercial users, they just plan to buy a new OB every three years. The new Legs from Volvo are bullet proof and will go 3500 to 5000 hours without a rebuild as opposed to old VPs and mercs that you might get 1500 hours out of.

This is not exactly true from my expereince. An outboard is rebuidable, have done so myself and had it done other times. My dads boat has a 1973 gas sucking Johnson 135. It had over 2,000 hours on the Hobbs when it got it's first rebuild. The engine now has over 6,000 hours last I checked. It just got rebuilt again, my dad is cheap. We bought a Johnson in 1965, it was still running on my cousins ski boat, a restored Glastron, who knows how many hours it could have. Yes, it was a factory remanufacture when my dad, ever cheap, bought it.
My last outboard went 1,000 hours as I recall when I sold it when we left Houston. It never gave me a moments trouble. On the other hand, I have seen horror storys of course and many of these were I/Os as well as outboards. I have good engine karma I think. I would have said it is my belief that I/Os do not last as long as an outboards and are less rebuildable.

Here are their problems:

1)Heavy
2)Inefficient--due to weight and all the u-joints
3)outdrive requires all sorts of maintenance on the U joints, seals and all that
4)they require freshwater cooling in saltwater--more weight, more money, more maintenance, more complication
5)they don't like to be run hard (do you really run your car hard?--no)
6)they mount low in a bilge and will flood out if the boat gets water in it--which happens
7)the interior mounting results in all sorts of fire hazzards and need for ventalation
8)the interior mounting uses up deck space which is valuable in small boats
9)did I mention they are darn heavy

These are among the reasons most small offshore purpose boats are outboard--most--not all. If I ever where to get a "large" boat then I want an inboard.

"They are half the price because they are not the same caliber as a Grady, or some of the other more expensive brands. There is an absolute world of difference. "

Yep, a world of difference. I can run my little boat so hard into waves my teeth rattle and my knees buckle, it just don't care, I will yell chicken first. I would rather meet the sea in a little boat that is sturdy and capable than a larger boat that is suspect. N

oh shucks..I was not payin attention. Not my plan to insult anybody's boat since I ahve NO BOAT but pay for a slip. I would buy a Bayliner if I got a deal. I was just saying that it is sort of like a jaguar as far as the reputation for people like me who don't know what they are talking about, but are always out there on a limb trying to figure out something new.

I want something that will cross the channel and it IS one of the worst in the world. I used to laugh when people said that until I realized the Venturi effect between the volcanoes for myself and prayed to God.

The Force is nice... no offense to Bayliner people as I said, I have NO boat and want one very badly.

I am having a hard weekend so ....would someone please beg me to see a picture of my empty slip?

So, Nemrod...on a 26 ft what engine would you like? I was thinking twin Honda 120's. I hear the Johnson's are bad.

YEAH! Lets see a pic of your slip. I have a boat but can't afford a slip, so I must trailer. A Bayliner is great for the lake, but I wouldn't use one in the ocean!

FD

All this talk of boats is getting me salivating to upgrade!
Trust me Catherine, you don't want a boat. Think of all the money you could spend on diving and camera gear for what you'll pay for the boat. Then there's the money you pay every year to buy new little toys for the boat, new ladders. Then that new Lowrance sidescan fish sonar for $2000 starts looking really reasonable.

comin' right up...and I will show you my dream boat and my real life possibility.

Boat A, I hope to find for 70 k maybe three years old, but in the 26 ft version that is a 22) It comes with an optional swim step between the engines. (Honda 120's hopefully)

boat B , really does it for me. Sort of looks like a Force, but it is not... Maybe? It is a cat. Nice lines, yes? I love it.

and the empty hole of water...is mine.

That is the nicest looking slip I have ever seen! Look at the way it stays full of water!

What Im pointing out is that one shouldn't turn down a decent deal on a boat becouse it has I/O. Yes, they are my last choice in line but the new EFI I/Os are worlds apart from the old carbed I/Os with points and distributors to corode in salt water just as new OBs are worlds apart form grand daddys Johnson. A good friend is an certified OB mechanic. He tells me it's half the cost of a new motor to rebuild a four stroke OB. I know MANY people that run 4 stroke OBs commercialy and everyone replaces the engines with new every three years.

yea, I will take anything I can buy at this point. hey...I have a dive on sunday ...maybe to monk seals 45 dollars, if you and k decide you want to go call me...

But tell me...is that boat nice or what? Do you think it is a Force custom? (B) that might be Mikey scuba repair Mikeys new boat..just showed up recently I think.

just found out...Glas-pro custom built. 20 hrs on the engines. I want that boat.

Catherine, I cannot recommend engines for boats I have no idea of what you miht be seeking, local dealers, etc.

I am not a great Honda fan being a Toyota person anyways. The Hondas are older tech. I like the new "Big Block" Suzuki four strokers and would probably buy Mercury OptiMax 135s or Mercury Verados. I sort of like those Tohatsu 115s. Your talking big money here, close to 30,000 dollars in engines alone! Johnson and Evinrude are products of Bombardier Consumer division, I think both are the same and the E-Tec I think it is is highly regarded. BTW, Mercury Opti Max got the JD Powers award for outboards. N

Here is an I/O that breaks the mold for you. 210 lbs, 185 HP and it fits into a 2 foot square box! Turbo it for 250 HP I think. Id have to look it up to be sure. The mazda rotory engine.
Im in for Monk seals, hear they taste like whale! LOL

No, no killing Wildcard.

we would be VISITING them at Spitting caves. So...I just found out who owns the boat of my dreams and he wants to sell. Pretty good detective work, I'd say. Come on...lets here some commentary on the custom Glas-pro. Boat (B)

he says 20 hrs on the engines, I think Suzikis. i thought Suziki and Honda built by the same now? twin screw...custom electronics, tank racks, cabin. Brian, wanna go look? he told me to go on down and climb around on it. Keep on the QT. I don't need the competition.

Wildcard:
Matt, quick question. Have you owned anything but Bayliner? Just wondering.

I have only personally owned one ocean boat, my Bayliner. I grew up on Chris Craft cabin cruisers (24 - 26') operating in Casco Bay (Maine). In Boston Harbor I commercially run Old Ports, Crosby, and Romarine. I have built two small wooden boats, sailed Catalina and Pearsons, etc.

--Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom