Best smallcraft for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wildcard:
Here is an I/O that breaks the mold for you. 210 lbs, 185 HP and it fits into a 2 foot square box! Turbo it for 250 HP I think. Id have to look it up to be sure. The mazda rotory engine.
Im in for Monk seals, hear they taste like whale! LOL

Does the 210 lbs include the weight of the outdrive? That's light. My 90 E-TEC is light for it's hp but it weighs 320.

Tom Winters:
Hey Hank, I bet your territory was pretty well marked out after a day of diving in rough seas.
Believe me...everybody's was. :D

Does the 210 lbs include the weight of the outdrive? That's light. My 90 E-TEC is light for it's hp but it weighs 320.

No, I think that is about the bare weight of a Mazda 7A wankel. It is quite possible to build small aluminum V6 engines in the same power/weight class (the powerheasd alone on the new Verado engines is awfully small). The Rotax V6 engines come to mind. If it produced 200 horsepower it would still need an outdrive that could absorb that power and that would add considerably to the installed weight, plus freshwater cooling, plus induction system, plus exhaust system, plus engine mounting system, your Etec would still be lighter. Then there is the emission thing, years of research have gone into modern two stroke nd four stroke outboards to get the emissions down to compliance levels. You might note that a Mazda RX7 used a catalytic converter. That would not work in a boat so considerable effort would be required to clean the emissions up. Hard to beat the installed (total) weight of an outboard, that is one of the big reasons why most serious small offshore boats use them.

Talk about weight, an Allison 250 turboshaft can produce in the neighborhood of 1200shaft horsepower and it is smaller than a Mazda rotary, I can nearly put one in my lap. Really cool engine to work on too. To bad they cost about--oh--250,000 or more. Something like that would yank all the 2X4s out o'yer Bayliner, suppose you could put hydrofoils on it --BUT--it is all pie in the sky. N

Is that a Glas-Pro? looks like it...Tom, are they built in Hawaii? Did you see the pic I posted? back a bit...boat B. What do you think? I am looking at it tomorrow.

DSC_0181.JPG
[/IMG]

My friend's boat... Elysium...love the name, love the boat. have prayed to God on this boat just past Witches' brew at the wraparound.

It was a Glaspro built on Sand Island Road behind Keehi Marine Center.
Your boat B looks a little top heavy, but then again, evaluating a boat from one picture is kinda tough.
Cats are great hulls for Hawaiian waters but all the local guys are hung up on monohulls powered by I/O's. They all wind up hitting a cargo net or log at some point, and then the repair fun really gets interesting unless they were slow trolling. I knew two guys who had high-speed hits and their outdrives were never the same afterwards. They were unholy nightmares to work on even when they were healthy.
If you have the dough, pop for a Force 30. Then you can motor on over to Kauai for a dive.
One of the boats that had a high-speed hit was a Force 30 going fishing over on Kauai. The guy had huge outdrives on his boat and had one cruising speed which was full throttle. He wound up getting rid of the boat after his log hit since I think he had some transom separation as well. Good boats, those Forces, and a much better ride than the Glaspro.
One dive that's a lot of fun is a FAD dive. Motor on out to a FAD buoy and drop your divers. On the old "S" buoy off Waianae in 1200', I could see my divers as plain as day at 145'. My Luxfers were all fluorescent green to make tracking 'em easier.

catherine96821:
DSC_0181.JPG
[/IMG]

My friend's boat... Elysium...love the name, love the boat. have prayed to God on this boat just past Witche's brew at the wraparound.

Now, THAT'S a great looking boat! Looks about like my dream boat.

FD

thanks Tom...what is FAD? I don't want to deal with those locals at Force. Great folks but too skow on production. 30 Ft out of our range. (70-90max)

FD, this boat was custom built and has a Yanmar. It is very spacious for divers. I have gone interisland a couple times on it.

"Now, THAT'S a great looking boat! Looks about like my dream boat."

Which one, the big white one or the little yellow one? LOL. N

Nothing like a 24 pak with 4 divers on it! Talk about room... Dove it again today.
FAD = fish agrating (sp) device aka a bouy with fake kelp hung from the chain. The state has them all over the islands so fishermen have something to troll off of. Great place to catch Aku for bait. Five pound fish for bait, I love Hawaii!
BTW, the above pictured boat is now venturing into the world of charter fishing. Im going tuesday to show them how.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom