Best shop Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kxkid

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
What's the best shop to go with to try and dive the back wall? I am going in May.

The back wall, I have heard that's the holly grail of diving! I want to dive the back wall, Doug.

Ed Robinson's dives the Back Wall on their 3-tank Adventure Dive. Usually the first dive and it's deep. Ed Robinson's Diving Adventures - 3-Tank Adventure scuba diving boat charter They probably do it on the 2-tank Adventure Dive also - IDK. Both dives are only offered certain days, unless it's changed, the 3-tank is Tuesdays.

You're going to need 25 dives, be comfortable with blue water diving (the bottom is about 300' IIRC) and be able to handle a live drop/pickup scenario back there. Reboarding is often the harder part...lol If you start at Reef's End, that's also a drift dive.

B&B Scuba or ProDiver are other options. As long as the whole boat is advanced enough to do it, otherwise they'll stay in front. IDK how you'd tell short of inquiring a few days before your dive.
Prodiver does the back wall dive as often as conditions and experience of divers will allow.

Diving Molokini Maui with B&B Scuba
Prodiver SCUBA Dive Maui | Molokini

---------- Post added March 24th, 2013 at 10:36 PM ----------

The back wall, I have heard that's the holly grail of diving! I want to dive the back wall, Doug.
In Hawaii? More likely it's Vertical Awareness or Keyhole off Ni'ihau (Kauai)

What's the best shop to go with to try and dive the back wall? I am going in May.

Check out this video of us scootering all the way around Molokini. It was amazing.

---------- Post added March 24th, 2013 at 08:54 PM ----------

[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnCfhBKsGQI[/video]

---------- Post added March 24th, 2013 at 08:58 PM ----------

http://http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=450324

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Keep in mind that no dive operation can guarantee that you'll be able to dive the back wall on ANY charter. Conditions will dictate what is possible, but I concur with DiverSteve that Ed Robinson's almost always does the backwall on their Tuesday 3-tank charter for one of the dives. Another option would be Lahaina Divers who has a scheduled Backwall charter on Wednesdays where they usually do 2 dives there.

I have done the backwall on 3 different trips with Lahaina divers and had a blast every time. Getting back on the boat one time was a little rough. Try going on a scooter dive with scubahawk27, alot of fun. You will have a blast. In my opinion your best BANG for your buck and great people on top of it.

Plus one for Lahaina divers. Be sure you are candid about your experience level. They may require you dive with them on a previous day to evaluate your skill level. The back wall can be very calm or very choppy, so be sure you discuss the conditions and the dive with the operator, whoever you dive with, before you go.
DivemasterDennis

Thanks everyone for the info. I am pretty new but confident in my skill since I drift dive a lot here at home by myself with a boat up top.

I mentioned that because your profile shows 0-24 dives. With no other info provided, we assume the lesser. In this instance it has nothing to do with your skill level, it's Robinson's requirements:
Requirements

Divers must:

Be an Openwater Certified Diver (with a minimum of 4 certification dives)
Have a minimum of 25 lifetime dives
Be comfortable with a max depth of 130 feet and rough ocean conditions

As a long time DM/instructor in Hawaii I've dove with a number of shops throughout the islands - including Maui. The service over there has always been great in my opinion and it certainly offers great variety. The shore diving over there is also fantastic. I've heard many great things about Shaka Doug for diving over there. As far as shops go there are numerous great operations in my opinion. I just returned from diving Pauline and her crew at Mike Severns out of Kihei. We had an incredible time and Pauline is simply fantastic.

Do a little research on what Maui has to offer then inquire with specific areas of interest and you'll find that you can get some great direction from board members here. Shore? Boat? Drift? Lava tubes? Sharks? Wall? Reef? Turtles? Wreck?

Maui has it all - and some tremendous professional dive teams! I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time.

Back
Top Bottom