Best shop Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When you go make sure they are going to do the wall. I dove with them several years ago. They wanted to see me dive before taking me to the wall. I could full appreciate this as the risks associated with doing the wall are much greater than doing the crater. The first day I went with them, they evaluated my skill level and they told me no issue diving the wall the next day. When I showed up the next day there were two divers the office had booked to go out with us. The dive master asked them about their experience. It turned out they had very few dives and had not dove for several years. Needless to say, we did not do the wall. It was my last day to dive so I went ahead and went out. If I had more time, I would have cancelled as I had specifically booked with them to do the wall.

I mentioned that because your profile shows 0-24 dives. With no other info provided, we assume the lesser. In this instance it has nothing to do with your skill level, it's Robinson's requirements:

Were you on the 3-tank Advanced (Tuesday?) or just one of ERDA's regular weekly trips?

When you go make sure they are going to do the wall. I dove with them several years ago. They wanted to see me dive before taking me to the wall. I could full appreciate this as the risks associated with doing the wall are much greater than doing the crater. The first day I went with them, they evaluated my skill level and they told me no issue diving the wall the next day. When I showed up the next day there were two divers the office had booked to go out with us. The dive master asked them about their experience. It turned out they had very few dives and had not dove for several years. Needless to say, we did not do the wall. It was my last day to dive so I went ahead and went out. If I had more time, I would have cancelled as I had specifically booked with them to do the wall.

I hate to see that happen, but the boat operator does has to maintain a business operation. They need to fill the boat to pay for expenses. No operator can ever guarantee the back wall until you get out there and check currents and conditions. The only way to guarantee it is charter your own boat and make sure you have an extremely knowledgeable Captain.

I went back and looked at my log book and found the trip was more than a few years ago. It was March 27, 2005, a Sunday. It was a two tank dive trip.

Here's my take on it... :D

[video=youtube;p6yctQaLlnA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6yctQaLlnA&list=UU9xuFVfxFAeBm5L2_eNloCA& index=1[/video]

I did the 3-tank and 2-tank adventure dives with Ed Robinson in January. Conditions were such that we did the back wall FOUR times in 5 dives. It was awesome, but when I go back to Maui, I think I'll be ready for something else...:wink:

I didn't find them to be especially tough dives. They are fairly deep but currents and viz were all very favourable, and surface conditions were great.

4 out of 5 dives? I can't blame you for wanting to do something else! You were lucky to have great conditions every day. The backwall can be extremely challenging with sometimes 30' up and down surge, current you can't swim against, and more than once I've been caught in a "washing machine" during my safety stop where my bubbles were actually going up then rushing DOWN in front of my face!! Not to mention the possibility of extremely challenging surface conditions to reboard the boat at the end of the dive. Conditions can change rapidly and unexpectedly which is another reason it's considered an advanced dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom