Best SCUBA Gear - Price not a Factor!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I knew that this was going to be a gem when I saw the first post. Been watching. There is an element of member self-control that keeps this board from becoming yet another venue whose standard fare is internet advertising spam.

So, BD, how about everyone that sells to new divers shamelessly posting their ads in Basic Scuba Discussions?

No prob with a plug or two, but mind dialing it back a few notches or moving it to where it belongs?

Last edited:
Reading over some of the criticism on the thread, I took a look at BeaverDiver's profile. Lists as the only SCUBAPRO Platinum dealer in Colorado, Dive Shop Owner/Employee, and gear as SCUBAPRO head to toe.

If ScubaPro is all he handles and uses in gear categories where they have a product, I imagine that may be what he's the most familiar with, which could explain his preferences.

At least further posts on the thread make clear that most responders aren't 'ScubaPro exclusive' by a long shot, and I believe most divers take an 'ala carte' approach to gear selection; reg., BCD, mask and fins from 2 to 4 different companies, and the BP/W crowd may even use different manufacturers for the BP and the W.

One off-shoot issue on the the thread is whether we would, if we suddenly had a lot more money, replace our currently accepted and functional gear with something else, or spend the money elsewhere. I'd like to take a lot more dive trips. Wakatobi, anyone? (Note: I expect to someday die having never been there).

Richard.

P.S.: One toy I don't have and would get; a DPV. Not sure that I'd take in on enough trips to be worth it. I guess if I were really loaded I could just buy one at my destination? Might really get a kick out of Bonaire with a high-end DPV.

If ScubaPro is all he handles and uses in gear categories where they have a product, I imagine that may be what he's the most familiar with, which could explain his preferences.

His preference-is having you click his preferences which inexorably, magically, transports you to a magic-town where his preferences can become your preferences.

Last edited:

Like my aforementioned hypothetical Ford dealer who prefers Fords over all other means of transportation...

-myopic
-naive
-self-centered

Has to be at least one of those things.

I pretty much have all the OC gear I could ever want, but if I win the lotto this week my purchases would be along the lines of this:

Revo hccr
DPV....ya know the $10k ones
And screw it I'm rich....I want a damn submarine.

Other than the Jet fins, there is not much in Scubapro line that I like. They make decent gear but its an BMW that that thinks it is Rolls Royce. Their wetsuits are really not "the best" but you pay Scubapro price on them. Their mask is just another mask but you pay Scubapro price on them. Their BP-wing set up is not the best but you pay Scubapro price on them. There is equally good or better gear out there in each category that is better priced too.

15 years ago, word around the campfire was regs should be Scubapro, computers should be Oceanic/Aeries (Pelagic) and BC's Seaquest. Today, however, after 40 years the one constant has always been baseball. Crap, I mean Scubapro regulators.

Innerspace Systems Magalodon CCR w/ Tall Scrubber, Faber 3L dil+o2
Shearwater NERD primary
Shearwater Petrel backup
4th Element Argonaut Kevlar w/ LM P-valve, SiTech neckring, Antares wrist rings w/ dry gloves, Tech boots
4th Element Halo3D + Xerotherm + Drybase undergarment
Otter Bay 12mm hood
Hollis F1 fins

Like my aforementioned hypothetical Ford dealer who prefers Fords over all other means of transportation...

-myopic
-naive
-self-centered

Has to be at least one of those things.

Like all BP/W topics ending with Tobin?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom