Best Scuba equipments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi guys, I plan to open a scuba diving shop in the Andamans. [ All of you are most welcome once its up and running :) ]

I would like to know which brand of equipments do you think are the best ?
Amongst Mares, ScubaPro and Aqua Lung which one would you prefer to use while scuba diving ? Is there any other brand which you would prefer to use ?
Also, which would be the best place (country/dealer) to buy these equipments (in bulk) from ?

Any other suggestions are welcome.

What do I use and what would I like to see in a shop? I use a medley of brands but there's always one brand name that I love to see...

The bottom line is you can't carry everything for everyone's tastes. If you carried one brand over another I think you would be fine as there are brand aficionados that will support you- but the price has to be right and sometimes as I read, there is no way to get around that up front. Then there's the other stuff, BCD's, BP/W's, rec stuff, tec stuff, on and on.

As a consumer, I look for quality gear at reasonable prices. The only one consistently doing this, ACCORDING TO ME, is Tobin George at DSS. Whatever brands you carry, make sure that you can sell DSS stuff along side (it will actually be other stuff along side of DSS).

No matter what brands you carry and sell, make sure that YOU can service those brands in a timely manner and at reasonable prices for out of warranty items. Also, consider shop warranties, discounts for good customers, such as discounted or free gas fills. Price match on some things would be good too. Tell divers where they can get what they want if you don't carry it; I don't mind a second opinion, but if I want another Apeks reg and you only carry ScubaPro (and I failed to recognize this somehow), don't tell me how great your stuff is and try to get a sale. I already know SP is great but I like what I have.

So in summary, variety, good prices, and the best customer service. It all seems so simple written...

Stick with ScubaPro Cressi Omer and Mares. For Scuba diving i woud prefer Scubapro.
Where is this stor going to open?

find the market holes for your area offer Apeks, tusa, cressi, omer, hollis or whatever is reliable but not available in your area (here those brands are hard to find along with tech stuff so you would stand out from the other shops. Also build up a good reputation for being able to recommend other gear and being able to help out with any questions or problems with any configuration/brand. If you lose a customer buying a BC for around 400 they may come back and buy knife, Sausage, tank, fills, lights or other things because you were honest and actually helped them rather than trying to make every penny you can off them. Cheapest way to get gear is to find a distributor or go directly to manufacturer, some MFG will require like a 10k or more purchase through them to be classified as one of their stores but the more you buy the cheaper each individual item gets they can also recommend warehouses that are wholesale only. You might be able to get a discount from leisure pro or scuba toys if you order in bulk or if you look around you might be able to find out their distributors. I know Gander Mountain down here ordered all of their stuff in bulk from divers direct

Also build up a good reputation for being able to recommend other gear and being able to help out with any questions or problems with any configuration/brand. If you lose a customer buying a BC for around 400 they may come back and buy knife, Sausage, tank, fills, lights or other things because you were honest and actually helped them rather than trying to make every penny you can off them.

+1

I remember when i bought all my gear...i had to go 3 times to LDS because the owner told me..."take it easy, buddy" :)

This is a guy who is starting a business on an island of around 300K people. There are already shops on the island and he is trying to find a niche. I hope that he has done basic research regarding the current shops. From his options, Scubapro is a good choice to out quality/service the other shops but they are weak on computers. With Aqualung, he is strong on computers, Suunto, equal on other gear, but weak on warranties. Mares may give him better pricing flexibility over either Scubapro or Aqualung.

Augustus

I hope you have done your homework on the market - when i was last in the Andamans, the 'market' was western travelers on a very tight budget and India newbies who were unlikely to shell out the better part of Rs. 50,000 for gear. You will also have to deal with the joys of Indian customs duties on scuba products.

Having said that, if you are still determined to go ahead, i would recommend you carry as much of one or two equipment suppliers as possible. I would also recommend that you build a model where you can profitably service gear that you sell, as no one else in the Andamans will do that. For my money, it would be a combination of Scubapro and many another, slightly cheaper brand that dive ops use (like Sherwood).

Back
Top Bottom