Best scuba destination for Xmas: Raja Ampat or The Philippines?

Where should I scuba this Christmas?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which airlines do you fly with in that region?

Just Garuda or also Batik Air, Sriwijaya Air? Any I should avoid?

I flew mostly with Garuda. A few times with Sriwijaya whenever I go to that region of Indonesia. Haven’t tried with other domestic airlines.

If you’d be going to Sorong from Jakarta, I heard Batik Air is pretty good too.

You may check out some land tours in Jogyakarta, Solo, Borobudur & Prambanan temples.

Yeah, Yogyakarta is lovely... I went there about 8 years ago, I'm sure a lot has changed.

Looking at my travel plan, I'd be getting into Sorong on the 20th and the Liveaboard leaves on the 24th. Not sure what I could squeeze into those few days.

If you’d be going to Sorong from Jakarta, I heard Batik Air is pretty good too.

You may check out some land tours in Jogyakarta, Solo, Borobudur & Prambanan temples.

I flew Batik business and it was very good. I booked early enough so the jaunt from Jakarta to Sorong was only $35 more than economy. It was so worth it.

Yeah, Yogyakarta is lovely... I went there about 8 years ago, I'm sure a lot has changed.

Looking at my travel plan, I'd be getting into Sorong on the 20th and the Liveaboard leaves on the 24th. Not sure what I could squeeze into those few days.

That is wayyyyyy too much time in Sorong. You will be bored out of your mind. There's a reason why some people call it "So Wrong"...It is basically a leaping point for liveaboards. I'd put in a cushion for flight delays so you don't miss your liveaboard, but not too much. We were there 2 days and were bored.

Interesting... Hmmm, I wonder if there's anything to do near Jakarta then...

Jakarta traffic is really bad, the worst, so I usually try to skip it & hop on the next flight to elsewhere in Indonesia. However, if you want to tour around Jakarta there are some interesting places to visit, such as:
Kota Tua Jakarta - Wikipedia
Ragunan Zoo - Wikipedia
Discover Puncak Tea Plantation - Jakarta
Day trip from Jakarta to Bogor and to Taman Safari Park in Indonesia.

Found all these land-based "adventures" in Raja Ampat: Tour directory for land based adventures in Raja Ampat

Anything worthwhile there?

RA is huge. Your liveaboard trip will cover Misool in the South to Wayag in the North in 11 days. Some of the land tour in that link include Misool, which would take at least 4 hours on speedboat. Samambaia may even do some of those land excursions while in the neighborhood. So, I’d suggest you ask for their itinerary and compare it with the land-based excursions listed in the link you posted above and pick those that won’t be where Samambaia will do, like Penemu & Wayag.

I would consider going to some of the land-based tour around Dampier Strait within 2-hour of speedboat ride. So, you won’t waste your time on the speedboat ride. As I mentioned previously, I went to Birds of Paradise watching next to Mansuar, 2-hour speedboat ride from Sorong. Don’t forget to bring binoculars if you want to take that tour.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom