Best scuba destination for Xmas: Raja Ampat or The Philippines?

Where should I scuba this Christmas?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, that makes sense. What about the Ambai?

I think it’s just as good. I just haven’t read much about their review. The last trip report I read was back in 2014: Trip Report Komodo Oct 2014 - Ambai

Another thing to consider is the cost. 12-day trip is already pretty long trip. Ambai offers 13-day trip, which means another $400+ that you need to add to the already pretty expensive trip. Not sure if OP wants to do that.

Last edited:
The Ambai is a very nice boat, owned by an Indonesian-French couple Suryani Mile and Jérôme Doucet. You do have a valid point regarding a 12- or even a 13-day trip. Its a long time on a boat.

It's a long time on a boat but it's not long enough diving Raja Ampat!

You guys are the best. I think I made the right choice with the Samambaia.

I'll probably be one of the youngest people on the boat, but, hey, after a recent breakup I could use some mature companionship and quality amenities. And fishies! :)

Ambai is USD 5,320 per trip and I've already exceeded my budget with the <$5K with the Samambaia... which I hope will be luxurious enough!

Quick followup question here: if I want to fly into the region early, where would you recommend getting some relaxing in? I've already been to Bali a few times and could always go back, but there are so many other places in Indonesia?

I guess the real question is: what's a good side destination to combine with a liveaboard starting from Sorong? Papua New Guinea?

To clarify, I don't need to do any major diving during that week -- I'll be getting ~35 dives in on the liveaboard.

Last edited:
I would think Manado (Lembeh, Bunaken, Bangka). Would be the best choice if you haven’t been there. Manado has some excellent diving sites and very closed to Sorong with good direct flights to Sorong.

With Singapore Airlines I can fly directly from Houston to Manado via Manchester & Singapore carrying two checkin luggages with max weight of 100 lbs for both luggages. Garuda Indonesia Airlines allows you to take the same luggages as long as you specify that the 2nd luggage contains your dive gears.

Bali is always good to visit, but, AFAIK, there is no direct flight from Denpasar to Sorong. I always ended up staying overnight in Makassar on the way to Sorong from Denpasar.

Last edited:
I'm getting a sense that there is also a fair bit to do near Sorong... The islands (Wayag and Penemu), Meyeh Waterfall, beaches...
Or am I better off exploring a different part of Indonesia?

Which airlines do you fly with in that region?

Just Garuda or also Batik Air, Sriwijaya Air? Any I should avoid?

I would think Manado (Lembeh, Bunaken, Bangka). Would be the best choice if you haven’t been there. Manado has some excellent diving sites and very closed to Sorong with good direct flights to Sorong.

With Singapore Airlines I can fly directly from Houston to Manado via Manchester & Singapore carrying two checkin luggages with max weight of 100 lbs for both luggages. Garuda Indonesia Airlines allows you to take the same luggages as long as you specify that the 2nd luggage contains your dive gears.

Bali is always good to visit, but, AFAIK, there is no direct flight from Denpasar to Sorong. I always ended up staying overnight in Makassar on the way to Sorong from Denpasar.

I'm getting a sense that there is also a fair bit to do near Sorong... The islands (Wayag and Penemu), Meyeh Waterfall, beaches...
Or am I better off exploring a different part of Indonesia?

That’s one of the reason you go on liveaboard, instead of staying in a resort. We visited to Penemu & Wayag in several of my RA liveaboard cruises. So, it’s better off exploring other parts of Indonesia besides RA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom